Henry Wright Widow

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

july1992

Henry Wright Widow

Post by july1992 » Thu May 19, 2016 10:47 am

Hi
Can any expert point me in the right direction. Henry Wright married Sarah Wainwright in 1908 in Eckington, Derbyshire and he was 27 on marriage.
It says on the family search that he was widowed. I have not got a clue to his first wifes name and how can I find out who she was. Where theymarried
etc.

Regards
Caroline

speleobat2

Re: Henry Wright Widow

Post by speleobat2 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:42 am

Henry shows up on the 1901 census as Harry Wright and is living with his parents. He is single so if he was married previous to Sarah Wainwright it was between 1901 and 1908. Try searching the marriage records for Harry Wright and see if he shows up.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat May 21, 2016 2:56 am

Hi Caroline,

If his first marriage took place in Eckington, Chesterfield District, Derbyshire, there is a possibility on his first wife being Lucy Knowles, married to a Henry Wright in the first quarter of 1902. There is a death for a Lucy Wright, age 24, registered in Eckington in the second quarter of 1904. There is a matching birth for a Lucy Knowles registered in Eckington in the second quarter of 1880.

This proves nothing, but could be worth following up. I don't know if Henry's death certificate will show the names of his wives (I am not familiar with English certificates).

All the best,

AndrewP

garibaldired

Post by garibaldired » Sat May 21, 2016 11:04 am

No it won't Andrew.

English death certificates have such little information it is sometimes difficult to tell whether you have the right person!

Best wishes,
Meg

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:10 am

There is also a family tree posted on Ancestry.com by a relative of your father's brother Thomas. It has quite a lot of info on the family, but unfortunately no date of death for Sarah Wainwright Wright.

july1992

Post by july1992 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Dear All

Thank you for all the information that you have given. It may point me in the right direction. A copy of the death certs for Henry and Sarah came in
the post this morning. It does not say names of parents but gives the spouses name but nothing relating to the first wife. I shall see what I can find out.

Once again thanks for all your help.

Regards
Caroline

july1992

Post by july1992 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:27 pm

Have you got an adress for the 1901 census?

Thank you

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:58 pm

They are living at 187 Stone Street, Eckington. You can find the 1901 census on Family Search for free. Search for Harry Wright, father Thomas Wright.

july1992

Post by july1992 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:00 pm

speleobat2 wrote:They are living at 187 Stone Street, Eckington. You can find the 1901 census on Family Search for free. Search for Harry Wright, father Thomas Wright.

Thank you for your help. My dad died in 1984 and never spoke about his child hood as his dad died in a mining accident in Creswell, Derbyshire in 1921/22. My cousins
are not close to me and I have found the death record of my gran dad and motherand got copies of the deth certs today. I had not idea my gran dad was a widow and
remarried. I can remember my dad saying he had a sister that died. Again I have no idea of the year. I think her name was Sarah but no 100% sure of this.

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:28 pm

Hi Caroline,

I know what you are dealing with. My Dad rarely spoke about his family. After he and our mother passed, my sister found about a dozen old photographs only a few of which had names on them and that started our research into his family. We also have relatives who never met us though we didn't live far from them so much of what we know has come from Scotland's People and Ancestry.com! People on this website have helped a great deal so I try to help others back.

If you go to the postings on your other request about your family, one shows that there was a death of a child early in Henry and Sarah's marriage. I think it was the 1911 Census that says that they had had one child and that child died. This might be the sister your Dad mentioned. The death would have been between 1908 and 1911. I can't get you any closer than that. English records can be very frustrating to work with!