looking for scots that went to england .....

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

katie6515

looking for scots that went to england .....

Post by katie6515 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:38 pm

hi, i am looking for cockburns that were born in leith edinburgh that moved to england. isabelle married george william peters in 1925 he was in the army at the time. her brothers were into boxing their names were william freer 1893, henry stewart 1904 and john 1891, my mum and uncles were told they lived in england as well what part i dont know. their was 11 kids in their family and their parents were thomas cockburn and lydia frier. thanks katie
Last edited by katie6515 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cockburn , henderson , frier , tochack , inglis , peters , hogg ,kay ,noble,kemp,macrae, crawford, forrest, freedman, gunn,mcdonald,ross,thomson, sangster
nicholson,scott,moore,archer,shedden,campbell,dumma,platt,currie,ewart,mcturt,hill,kyllie,

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Hi katie

Within the blink of an eye your post has now landed in England :lol:

Hope you find some connections!!

Best wishes
Jean

katie6515

looking for scots that went to england

Post by katie6515 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:54 pm

i hope so , as i am at a dead end and have been for ages. it does help if i post my messages on the right site. thanks katie
cockburn , henderson , frier , tochack , inglis , peters , hogg ,kay ,noble,kemp,macrae, crawford, forrest, freedman, gunn,mcdonald,ross,thomson, sangster
nicholson,scott,moore,archer,shedden,campbell,dumma,platt,currie,ewart,mcturt,hill,kyllie,

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Hello Katie - I'm feeling a wee bit dense this afternoon - can you just clarify one or two things. When do you think they went to England, and are we looking for William Freer Cockburn, Henry Stewart Cockburn and John Cockburn? Were they siblings of Isabelle?

Sorry for being thick, but I want to get it right before I start interfering :)

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

katie6515

Post by katie6515 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:07 pm

hi, pinkshoes its probably me that has confused you,isabelle is their sister, their names are william freer cockburn, henry stewart cockburn and john cockburn, i think they could of went to england any time after 1910. thanks again for the help katie

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:14 pm

Hello Katie

I've had a look on Ancestry but nothing helpful I'm afraid. I've checked deaths and marriages just in case. There's nothing for William Freer Cockburn or Henry Stewart Cockburn - some matches without middle names but they would be a wild guess - it's not like Scotland's People! Even the matches without middle names don't tie up for dates.

I also had a look on free BMD - again no luck but I think the records aren't complete.

Sorry - I'll keep looking :lol:

Happy Hunting
Pinkshoes

katie6515

Post by katie6515 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:26 pm

thanks for trying katie

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:14 pm

Hi Katie

Have you considered the fact that they might not have boxed under their full or actual names? There's a useful looking website called The History of Pre-War Boxing in Britain at http://www.prewarboxing.co.uk/ . One section has a list of names arranged alphabetically - it seems to have hundreds names in it. While I can't find your specific names there is a Jack Cockburn listed who might well be John - Jack was often a pet name for John. There's also a Cyclone Freer and any number of Stewarts - some with nicknames for first names. The site states that it is not only for boxing enthusiasts but also for family historians looking for boxing connections. It seems to be run by just one person and purely out of interest but looks full of info. There's also an email contact.

Failing this, why don't you try the official boxing organisations - perhaps the British Boxing Board of Control at http://www.sm50.dial.pipex.com/ ? I'm sure that all boxers would have to be officially registered before being allowed to fight.

Mary

katie6515

Post by katie6515 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:35 pm

thanks mary, i will give it a try. katie