Irish Marriage?

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

runmerry

Irish Marriage?

Post by runmerry » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi,
I'm new here been lurking and learning for a while but now I need help!
I'm looking for an Elizabeth Cumming born c 1845 in Rafford Moray who married ? a James Walton a soldier. I haven't had much sucess finding her marriage in Scotland but I found on an Poor Relief Application of hers that her children were born in Curragh Camp Kildare and Inniskilling (Enniskillen?). Might she have been married in Ireland and would the children have been registered there and if so where do I start looking?
Children James Walton born c 1874/5 and Helen Jane Walton c 1876/77
Any help pointing me in the right direction will be much appreciated.
Regards
Jen

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi Jen,

Welcome to talkingscot.

I've had good luck finding some of my Irish on www.emeraldancestors.com. If they were catholic, you could contact catholic church's in Kildare.

I discovered that my gg granny came from Greenlough Parish. I wrote to them and they gave me not only her baptism record but also the records of her 10 brothers and sisters, that I didn't know existed.

Good luck with your search.

Ina

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:38 pm

The IGI [on familysearch.org] has these:

James Walton
Male
Birth: 25 MAY 1875 Newbridge, Kildare, Ireland

Father: James Walton
Mother: Elizabeth Cummins
Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record

Ellen Jane Walton
Female
Birth: 21 SEP 1876 , Fermanagh, Ireland
Father: James Walton
Mother: Elizabeth Commins

Enniskillen is also known as Inniskilling - the regiment is the Royal Inniskilling Fussiliers.
Perhps James was associated with them?
Wilma

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Ina
Thankyou for your reply. As far as I know none of my Cummings were catholics but Mr Walton might have been hence a marriage in Ireland, but I shall have a look at the web site you suggested.

WilmaM
Wow! I was only wondering where to look and you produce them like rabbits out of a hat! So far I haven't had to look outside Scotland for anyone, and not even many outside the Moray area.
Definitely not a lot of itchy feet in my ancestors.
Thanks once again to you both for your swift replies and the info.
Regards
Jen

Flemmingrichard1

Re: Irish Marriage?

Post by Flemmingrichard1 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:14 pm

hello Jen, I have some other imformation about your Elizabeth Cumming born in Rafford, 1845 i expect you might not know.
Can we talk on my email address please. richardlee220ATyahoo.com.au
Kind regards, Richard

E-mail edited to confound the spammers & bots. (AT = @)
Runmerry is still active on the board Richard so she should pick up you great offer. Russell

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:35 pm

Marriage between James Walton and Elizabeth Cumming registered city of Armagh 25.8.1874. You can view the original certificate on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2.50 (sterling) to a view a certificate.
Elwyn

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Many apologies people this is quite an old query & maybe I should have let you know that I found the marriage & also quite by accident found them in Kersley, Lancashire on the '81 & '91 census Elizabeth is on the '81 census but not the '91.
Since Elizabeth is missing in '91 & there is a 3 year old daughter Lilard Walton on the census I assumed she might have died giving birth in about 1888. Having no idea how to search English BMD's I kind of stuck there & went on to other things & it came as quite a surprise when this was revived.
I have been in touch with Richard & I am very grateful for his efforts in trying to help.

Regards
Jen