Gannon family

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

winger

Gannon family

Post by winger » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:14 am

This is a bit of a long shot -I am researching my Grandfather Martin Gannon who was born in Tonragee, Achill, Westport, Co Mayo. His birth cert is still up for investigation as he lists his parens as Patrick Gannon and Catherine Cane from Oughty, Westport - I know this is incorrect and his parents were Patrick Gannon and Bridget Ohara from Achill. This is his family on the 1911 Census
911 Census for House no 6 in Tonragee, East (Corraun, co Mayo)

Gannon Pat 55 Male
Gannon Bridget 52 Female
Gannon Michael 24 Male
Gannon Pat 20 Male
Gannon Maria 18 Female
Gannon James 16 Male
Gannon John 14 Male
Gannon Peter 12 Male
Gannon Martin 10 Male

I know some other family members came to Glasgow to work on the railways, possibly Patrick and Thomas but I am at a dead end - who knew it would be easier to find people before 1900 than after 1900!!!

If anyone recognises the family or are researching the Gannon's in Scotland (there are not that many) feel free to drop me a note.
thanks
christine.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:55 am

Hi Christine
His birth cert is still up for investigation as he lists his parens as Patrick Gannon and Catherine Cane from Oughty, Westport - I know this is incorrect and his parents were Patrick Gannon and Bridget Ohara from Achill
"He lists his parents..." - where did he list his parents? Do you have a marriage for him and this is what he stated at that time?
Have you a copy of the birth cert? Was it not his mother or father who registerd the birth?

If you think this family are likley to be in the same area in 1901, (maybe have a look on the family search pilot site for the other births?) you could order the 1901 census film through the LDS and look for them to see what is said at that point.

There is a birth at Westport of a Martin Gannon, Oct-Dec 1901, Vol 4, page 395 on LDS site. Seem to be a few Martin Gannons born in that area too.... posssibly related?

Best wishes
Lesley

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:26 am

There is a marriage of a Patrick Gannon in 1884 (april -june), Westport, 4-252, which looks a reasonable date, but as yet I'm not having much luck cross referencing with Catherine or a Bridget! If there are a few Gannons in the area, it is maybe not the correct Patrick either....
Last edited by LesleyB on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:45 am

There is a Michael Gannon at ACHILL, Doogort Townland, in the Griffiths Valuation - given that eldest son in 1911 is Michael, could this be the father of Patrick?
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4 ... h_form.php

You can see on this map that Doogart is not a neighbouring area to Tonragee though...
http://www.achilltourism.com/achillmap.html

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:05 am

Just searching about and I see from your post here that Patrick was married twice -
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.g ... ashx?pnt=1
I am researching my Gannon family from Tonragee a village near Achill and Westport Co Mayo.
My Grandfather was Martin Gannon son of Patrick Gannon and Catherine Cane. Patrick was married twice and his 1st wife was ** Ohara
So is it possible that Martin's mother Bridget died when he was very young and he regarded the second wife, Catherine, as his mother?
Patricks parents were Hugh Gannon and Catherine Doran. Patrick had 7 sons. 3 of whom went to Chicago. I beleive there names where Edward (Hugh), Peter and poss John. 3 brothers went to England, Liverpool and glasgow
So from what you have said here it does not look like the Michael on the Griffiths is Patricks father after all....

And there is more background info here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... ;topicseen
Patrick Gannon is married to Bridget Ohara and there are another two children possibly Thomas and Hugh who are older - I know hugh went to Cook co Illinois and Thomas poss to the UK, but I am still trying to confirm this.
Martin is my Grandfather - but what happend to Patrick, Michael, John and Peter? I know James stayed on the family land and married Katie Gallagher from clare Island but I would love to find out what happened to the other brothers. Does anyone recognise this family?

This is the family on the 1901 Census
Tonragee East/Achill/Burrishoole/Mayo/Household/Gannon/Bridget (31)

husband Patrick(30) away-Thomas(15)-Hugh(12)-Maria(9)-James(5)-John(3)-Peter(1)

Patrick is away as he is working on the railways where I suspect the sons also went - I know Martin ended up working on the RNER in Glasgow and I have check the Glasgow records for all the brothers and there are none listed.
I also found this post but not sure if you know of it already?
http://towns.mayo-ireland.ie/WebX?50@19 ... @.3b9e27d4
My great-great grandparents were Peter and Catherine (molloy/malloy)gannon of Dooniver, Achill Island who later settled in Cleveland in the late 1800's......
It looks like it may be a relative.

Best wishes
Lesley

winger

Post by winger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi,

thanks for getting back to me - perhaps I should have posted more info to make the situation clearer, I will try and explain what info I have and how confused I am!
I was told by my mother that Martin Gannon was born on the 6th Jun 1890. He was married in Glasgow in 1924 to Annie McDonnell and there was a problem getting his birth cert from Ireland. I have his poorlaw dated 1930 and this confirms all this info (so far, so good!). I also found his brother Thomas' poorlaw from 1905 giving the same parent information. I then found martin's birth cert from 1890 in Dublin and his mother's name is written as Kean (in pencil - and looks like it was written after the entry) and lists his birth area as Oughty in Oughaval - this surprised me as I know Martin's family were from Achill. I met this family years ago and I had the names of all his siblings. Because I had the poorlaw for Thomas and he is an older sibling I assumed there had to be two marriages then I found an old letter dated 1950 from the US from Hugh (a middle child)who wrote to my mother to tell her that Jimmy O'Hara was her uncle and was her grandmother's brother. however when I looked at the 1911 census I saw that the family from achill had a Martin Gannon born 1901 - this would be a different martin with the mother Bridget O'hara and all the older siblings could not have a mother Catherine Cane as it says on the census they have been married for 30 years - I then found Patrick and Bridget's marriage from 1881 in Achill - they could not be the parents of Martin born 1890 and they are in the wrong area, but they do have a martin born 1901 - so after this mammoth explanation I think there are two martin Gannon's and they are possibly cousins unfortunatly I am having a nightmare trying to establish if this is the case - the Gannon's in Achill must be related to me somehow but how do I tie them in with the Martin in Oughty - I am sorry this post is so long - it is one of those situations that takes time to explain, I am going to try and find the Martin born 1901 (unless it is the same martin who lied about the name of his mother!) and see what I can find.
thanks again for your imput - I will post any updates on my search, and if anyone recognises any of these people, feel free to ctc me.
cheers,
christ.

winger

update

Post by winger » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:17 pm

after posting the above novel I thought I would have another look at SP and tried deaths for Gannon with mother O'hara, I found Martin Gannon's death in Glasgow in 1978. as I couldn't look at this I tried marriages and found a marriage to Jessie Urquart Forrester in 1927 - his parents are listed as Patrick Gannon and Bridget O'hara, the age fits with the martin born 1901 in Achill, but I now need to confirm that he is from achill and then I need to work out how Martin in 1890 is connex to this Martin, oh the joy of family history !!!

Minnie

Re: Gannon family

Post by Minnie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:20 am

Hi Winger, sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm not so sure that your Martin Gannon (b.1890) isn't a cousin of my ancestors! There's a 21 year old Martin Gannon listed as living/staying with them on the 1911 Census. It says that he was born in Mayo and there aren't many birth records for Martin Gannon's for the whole of Mayo that I can find. I would be interested in comparing info with you. My ancestors are the O'Brien's in Moyhastin. Look forward to hearing from you, Em

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:13 am

Could be a total coincidence but there is a death indexed at SP of a Catherine Gannon/Kane born about 1864.

Regards,
Annette

Later................strike that - it is coincidence. Their is a marriage of a Catherine Gannon to a Mr Kane indexed too so it's probably her.

winger

Post by winger » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:59 am

I have posted a PM to Minnie - the Martin Gannon listed with her Obrien family is deff my Grandfather - so any info we can tie up is going to make me a very happy wee person!! :D