Irish Family History Foundation.

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

hg

Irish Family History Foundation.

Post by hg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Has anyone else had an email stating they have had a breach of security and to change your password?
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

ChristineW

Re: Irish Family History Foundation.

Post by ChristineW » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi Helen

Yes, I've received similar notification - details of which I've cut and pasted below from the email received last week.
As yet, I've done nothing about it, simply because I've given up on the Irish line as I am finding it almost impossible to get any useful information online - so I've given up until I can go there in person!

Christine

Please change your password
A breach of security has recently occurred on BRS Genealogy / Roots Ireland which hosts the IFHF site (http://www.rootsireland.ie), in response to which all necessary defensive measures have been taken. In the breach part of the database which includes our member’s usernames, email addresses and passwords was accessed. This triggered a series of steps that has resulted in us sending you this warning email.

No data relating to your online payment transactions (credit or debit card details) was on these servers. Please be assured that we do NOT store credit card details or any payment details. Nothing of that nature is held on our site and as a result such data is not at risk. All payments are handled by a secure payment gateway Realex (http://www.realex.ie/).

What you need to do:

We strongly recommend that all users take steps to change their passwords.
Click here for more information on how to change your password.
You will be required to change your password at your next login, (unless you have recently done so).
We recommend that users choose a non-dictionary word that is hard to guess containing both upper and lower case letters and numerals, and use different passwords for different websites.
We also recommend that if you use the same email and password on other sites that you change your password on those sites also.

Since the breach a full review of security has taken place. Further security measures have been implemented to minimise the risk of such a breach happening again.

We apologise for this inconvenience.

hg

Post by hg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:12 pm

Yes, that's the one I had. I haven't done anything about it yet either. Just wanted to check it was a legitimate email. Your hear so many stories about internet scams.
Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:14 pm

I think this post is about the same issue:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14763&hilit=IFHF

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Here's another thread on the topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14763
I got one from both the Irish Family History Foundation and the Ulster Historical Foundation...

Regards,
Sarah

Oops! Lesley just beat me to it!

hg

Post by hg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Thanks Lesley and Sarah, don't know how I missed that last week, I usually log in here every day. Looks genuine then.
Helen

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:21 pm

:lol: Sarah... "Great minds" an' all that!! Snap....