Modern Irish Relatives

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

David Lang

Modern Irish Relatives

Post by David Lang » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Can anyone help or suggest where to look for an Irish birth around 1940s, no county or whether northern/southern either!!

All i have is a name , including middle name, which is reasonably unique ( well i think so :) )

We know he joine dthe British Army and achieved a pretty senior rank ( or so we are told!) and died roughly around 5 years ago in England

I have been a bit vague on the details as i dont want to berak and privacy rules etc
Lang/loynachan/oloynachan/Gillies/Scally/McIlchere- Argyll, Denovan/Rollo, Stirling/Burns-Stirling Mackie/Grant/Ingils/Campbell-Aberdeen,Stewart/Bell-Glasgow
Brown-Ardrossan/Dundonald, Gemmell- Johnstone/Partick
McKelvie-Arran/ayrshire

LesleyB

Re: Modern Irish Relatives

Post by LesleyB » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:56 pm

David Lang

Post by David Lang » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks Lesley will have a look but i suspect he maybe from the North
Lang/loynachan/oloynachan/Gillies/Scally/McIlchere- Argyll, Denovan/Rollo, Stirling/Burns-Stirling Mackie/Grant/Ingils/Campbell-Aberdeen,Stewart/Bell-Glasgow
McKelvie-Arran/ayrshire

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi David,

This is something you might have tried already, but if it is confirmation of the birth date you are looking for - if he achieved senior rank there might be an obituary for him somewhere like The Times, which has a pay-per-view website but which is free to search. The Irish Times also has a PPV archive.

Then there's always Google....

[Edited after seeing your other post - the London Gazette should have details of promotions, awards etc - though it's not always the easiest to search!]

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:42 am

Hello David,

If I remember correctly English Death Indexes from about 1970 show the full date of birth. The Index on Ancestry goes up to 2005 and I think birth dates are included. Search there and see if his name crops up in the free search. You would need to be able to access Ancestry to get full birth date and death year but you may be able to work something out by fiddling with the search. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=7579

Alan

David Lang

Post by David Lang » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Cheers Alan/Brian

I think i have his death and date of birth now, and from the other link i think he is northern itish rather than southern irish

I have used the gazzette at work and it is fiddly to search but cant seem to see any promotions for him, maybe it was a kind of family joke he was a "major" when he might be a private!!

Thanks again
McKelvie-Arran/ayrshire

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:28 am

Currie wrote:Hello David,

If I remember correctly English Death Indexes from about 1970 show the full date of birth. The Index on Ancestry goes up to 2005 and I think birth dates are included. .....snipped......
Alan
Hi Alan

It's the 1969 June Quarter onwards !, and very useful a tool it can be. And, yes, the Ancestry indexes include the dob info.

mb

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:09 am

Thanks Montrose, I’ll make a note of that.

All the best,
Alan