Irish immigrants

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

Orlaith17

Irish immigrants

Post by Orlaith17 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Does anyone know please if any ships records exist for Irish immigrants to Scotland? My grandmother's parents came from Ireland, as did my grandfather's father. The family lived inthe Partick district of Glasgow so presumably sailed into there. They came from Sligo so no idea where they sailed from. I just wondered if ships records were maintained and might be available?

LesleyB

Re: Irish immigrants

Post by LesleyB » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi Orlaith17

As far as I am aware there are no lists of passengers from Ireland to UK.
(Though many of us wish there had been !)

Best wishes
Lesley

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Orlaith17,

Many of us are in the same boat ( no pun intended) :) If you post some information regarding names of the family you are researching, someone may be researching the same names and have more information for you.
I have hit a brick wall with my Irish ancestors and will have to make a trip to various parts of Ireland to try and find out more about them.
I did wonder if maybe there was an Irish society in Glasgow that may have kept records of some sort - maybe someone has looked into this before.

Good luck,

Ailsa

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:51 pm

There is one way you can sometimes narrow things down a bit,
If any of the children were born in Scotland the parents' date and place of marriage
should be on the child's birth records.

Looking at the Scottish census records can pinpoint the period they arrived here as the places of birth may differ.
Wilma

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:27 pm

WilmaM wrote:There is one way you can sometimes narrow things down a bit,
If any of the children were born in Scotland the parents' date and place of marriage
should be on the child's birth records.

Looking at the Scottish census records can pinpoint the period they arrived here as the places of birth may differ.
Thanks. I didn't find the census records that helpful as they simply stated place of birth Ireland. Those of us searching irish records will know how sadly lacking information is. I did get some brith dates from www.familysearch.org but hard to cross reference with no other records to match them too. Names I am researching are Murray, Scanlan, Hannan. Happy to hear from anyone else researching the same and exchange information.

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:07 am

Hi Orlaith 17,

Sorry none of the names are in my family.
I was always told that my McFarlane side of the family were from Ireland but when i started to research them it turned out that my gt grandfather James McFarlane was born in Partick according to the 1851 census. I traced him to the 1861 census (age 16) still in Glasgow then he dropped off the radar. I was lucky that i found a birth cert of one of his daughters back in Partick in 1882 also it had on it the parents marriage of 21/11/1871 in Belfast.
He must have went there and met and married Jane Dickson who was born in Ireland according to the 1891 census in Glasgow but alas no place name in Ireland - which is a shame. They were married in Belfast in 1871 and all their children bar one were born in Ireland. They came back between 1880 and 1882 and eventually settled in Clydebank. It is annoying to be so close to knowing the area she was from in Ireland but at least it cleared up the McFarlane line as they were from Perth.
Sorry for the ramble but it was just to prove that things are not always what they seem! Good luck.

Ailsa

Roving Lad

Post by Roving Lad » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Hi Orlaith 17,
Know what you mean, the Ireland side is pretty frustrating when your trying to even work out the County that they came from.
I'd been on every website i could find in the last year trying to find a Cormick Gallagher and Mary McCluskey . I tried every spelling combination of the two names i could think of, but to no avail. All i had to go on was their daughters wedding certificate in 1876 in Paisley giving their names and where they were born, Ireland.
In desperation two weeks ago i had just about given up. I put in the names as usual along with Donegal expecting no results, as usual. Bingo, it came up. Having said that, i was probably extremely lucky, wish the other searches would go like that.
Good Luck
Roving Lad

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:30 pm

A very good source of info for Irish folk who came to Glasgow are the Poor Law Records held at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. Many, many Irish families hit on hard times and applied for relief. These records can yield a lot of very useful background family information if you are lucky enough to find an application has survived.

Best wishes
Lesley

Hibee

Post by Hibee » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi orlaith 17

The main reason that there are no records of people who travelled from Ireland to Scotland (pre 1922) is that they were part of the same country (The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland). Technically, they were not even immigrants.

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Ailsa,

You say you were frustrated not to find out exactly where in Ireland your Jane Dickson came from. Have you got a copy of the marriage cert? That would give you her address as well as her father’s name and occupation, which might help you trace her line back. (I see the marriage listed in the Irish civil index for Belfast 1871, James McFarland to Jane Dixon, Volume 16, page 439. You can get a photocopy of that certificate from GRO Roscommon for €4, provided you quote the place, year, volume & page number on the application form). www.groireland.ie/

I suspect she probably came from Belfast.

Elwyn
Elwyn