Have I Come To The End Of The Line ??

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Have I Come To The End Of The Line ??

Post by SarahND » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:43 pm

=D> =D> =D>

So glad for you, Trish! Where did the breakthrough come in, was it the poor relief records or something else? It's so nice to see someone actually breaking through the Irish wall :D

Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned!

Best wishes,
Sarah

trish58

Post by trish58 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:28 am

Hi Sarah
It was a total fluke, though I had never given up hope.
This was the man that left Ireland for Scotland c1840 (I have his OPR marriage 1841) He had 9 children with his 1st wife before she died in 1859, It clicked with me that one of the 9 had been born in Ireland and bingo found her Baptism 6 Mar 1849 Bridget Raw,Cluntyganny, Lissan, complete with parent Richard & Ann. Bridget died Scotland aged 23.
I then took out a 1 month Roots Ireland sub and worked like crazy, I found heaps apart from his Fathers death.

Richard married a 2nd time and had a further 10 children, of the 19 children only 4 saw adulthood, and I am still searching for their burials. I have all the death dates and addresses but nothing, except Richard 2nd wife, 1 Daughter and 1 Grand child buried at the beautiful Bonhill cemetery.
Hoping to get up to Scotland again on this next trip.

Trish :D
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:51 am

Trish,

I note that you say your ancestors came from Cluntyganny in Co. Clare. I can’t actually locate that on the map. Have you located it? I wonder if you have the right county?

There is a Cluntyganny in Co. Tyrone, and I see from Griffiths Valuation that there was a Mary Rae farming there in 1859. (Probably a widow). She had plot 19 which was 2 separate pieces of land comprising about 1.5 acres. Near the modern Drumearn Rd, just outside Cookstown, Co Tyrone. It’s in the RC parish of Lissan. Their records start in 1839 and are on-line on the NLI site:

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes

Griffiths:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith- ... /index.xml

The revaluation records show the surname corrected to Raw in 1880. Mary was replaced in 1893 by Laurence McCracken, possibly indicating she had died around that time. (Griffiths clerks were often out by a year or so).

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_th ... val12b.htm

Possible death for Mary Raw 26.6.1892 aged 70, registered in Cookstown. You can view the original certificate on-line on the GRONI website, using the “search registrations” option:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

You will need to open an account and buy some credits. It costs £2 (sterling) to a view a certificate.

There was a widow Raw farming in Cluntyganny, Co Tyrone in 1827, according to the tithe applotment records:

http://www.cotyroneireland.com/tithe/lissan.html

Cluntyganny in Co Tyrone is 264 acres of agricultural land. There were 18 houses there in 1911, with a total of 46 occupants.
Elwyn

trish58

Post by trish58 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:24 am

Hi Elwyn
Thanks for your interest.
Yes I did locate it on the may on the very edge of Cookstown. I do have all the info and links you posted except the address to order the death for Mary in 1892. Having problems trying to look at this as it wont let me search, I am putting in 1888-1893 (1892) But it jut keeps telling me to put 5 years after the start date.. Mary is the Sister (My 3 x Gr Aunt) Not his Mother, on the record from Roots Ireland Mary is the housekeeper of Laurence McCracken the man that took over from Mother Mary.
Civil death record. Mary Raw. 70. Cluntyganny. Spinster. Housekeeper. Cookstown. Tyrone. Laurence McCracken. Cluntyganny.

Trish
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:54 am

1888-1893 is 6 years, not 5. That’s why you are having difficulty with the site. Just enter 1892 on its own, or the date of death and that will get it. You have a choice between ordering a certified copy at £15 or seeing an image of the actual death certificate on-line for £2. If content with an image, use the search death registrations option.

I looked for a will for Mary but she doesn’t appear to have left one, or at least not one that required probate.
Elwyn

trish58

Post by trish58 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:17 am

All done Elwyn, thank you. Didn't read it properly that you have to buy credits first.

Thanks again
Trish