coyle/gallacher

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

chan01

coyle/gallacher

Post by chan01 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:45 pm

hi
I am new to this site and still finding way around.
I need some help please..I am trying to locate the where about of Irish ancestors.
My ggreat grand father and mother were from Ireland but not sure where.
James Coyle 1856-1928....married Mary Ann Gallacher 1860-1956.
They married in1884 in Johnstone (Renfrew shire) but later known to live in Airdrie.
I can find them in 1891 and 1901 census, which states Ireland as place of birth..
Mary Ann's parents also came to Scotland but again ??when they were Edward Gallacher 1838-1887 and Ann brown 1841-??
James parents were John Coyle and Mary McGee but unfortunately I have nothing for them...
Any help or tips would be much appreciative. :roll:
Thanks

WilmaM

Re: coyle/gallacher

Post by WilmaM » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Welcome to TS :D

Although Mary Ann was born in Ireland I wonder if all her siblings were too?
It could be that the Gallacher family moved to Scotland and had further children born here.
If that is the case then the Scots-born children's birth certificates will have their parents' date and place of marriage.

Try to find them on any census records and see if any children are Scots.
Wilma

chan01

Post by chan01 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi and thank you for reply
James and Mary Ann finally settled in Airdrie, they had 6 children. All born in Lanark shire.
However I am not sure if maybe Mary Ann was born hear although the census states Ireland and not sure what siblings she had.
:?

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:44 pm

What all do have on Mary Ann's parents .
You have given Edward's year of birth and death - where did you get that information?

official Death cert? or gravestone or family bible ?
getting the Death cert will give his address in 1887 and the informant's name and address
They may help find the family on the 1881 census or his widow in 1891.

If you can give us what info you have and it's source we can point you in other directions to search.
Wilma

chan01

Post by chan01 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:13 pm

hi
unfortunately I don't have anything concrete other than James and Mary Ann's marriage cert and census.
I figured that as Edward was still alive at time of marriage 1884 and his wife Ann was on 1891 census he could have died between these dates. The one result I got gives a Edward Gallagher age 49 ( therefore DOB 1838).
The death notice however is not certificate but a list of all buried on the 16th April 1887 at St Peters dalbeath.
I know its not very reliable but its all I've got so far. :(

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:23 pm

If you follow the link to Scotlands People at the top of the page you can search and download [ on a pay-per-view basis] all the official Birth Death & Marriage certificates and the census records too.

The information on them will give you a good start as the death's should give parents names as well with will jump you back another generation.
Wilma

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:32 pm

chan01 wrote:hi
unfortunately I don't have anything concrete other than James and Mary Ann's marriage cert and census.
I figured that as Edward was still alive at time of marriage 1884 and his wife Ann was on 1891 census he could have died between these dates. The one result I got gives a Edward Gallagher age 49 ( therefore DOB 1838).
The death notice however is not certificate but a list of all buried on the 16th April 1887 at St Peters dalbeath.
Like Wilma says a look at SP should bring some results.

Have you checked the original census in 1891 to see if Annie was a widow? There is a Edward Gallocher born 1838 at Ireland in the City Poorhouse in 1891. His occupation is a dyer.

Who were the witnesses at James and Mary Ann's marriage?
There is this birth at Tyrone from the IGI (Mary Ann's sister?) although the names are very common.

Name: Rose Gallaugher
Birth Date: 29 Jul 1867
Birthplace: 0352,STRABANE DISTRICT,TYRONE,IRELAND
Father's Name: Edward Gallaugher
Mother's Name: Anne Brown

Regards,
Annette