Place of Marriage

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

Place of Marriage

Post by nelmit » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:47 pm

As far as I can tell the marriage place on this entry is Killinard, Donegal but the nearest I can get is Killenard, Laois which is nowhere near Donegal.

McGinlaycut.jpg

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Annette
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

apanderson

Re: Place of Marriage

Post by apanderson » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:09 pm

A case of the information being recorded according to the informant's details/knowledge? Those being not correct for one reason or another?

Otherwise - not a clue!

Anne :roll:

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Suspect it's Killymard, which is a parish in Co. Donegal (near Donegal town).
Elwyn

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:57 pm

I am sure you're correct Elwyn 1! :) Like Anne I thought it was just a bit of confusion.

Google had tried to convince me it was Killymard too but I wasn't having it because of the y. But looking at it again and replacing the i with a y I now totally agree.

Thanks,
Annette

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:19 am

Annette,

Your next snag will be trying to trace a copy of the marriage certificate. RC marriages were recorded in the civil registrar’s records from 1864 onwards. A marriage in Killymard should be registered in Donegal town. However I can’t see that marriage in the records. There are 2 Bernard McGinley marriages in Co. Donegal in 1868 – the surname is very common and I am sure that’s the right county – but neither was registered in Donegal town. (One was registered in Glenties and the other in Dunfanaghy). I looked in the Irish civil indexes to see who each may have married. The Dunfanaghy one may have married a Mary Coll and the other a Mary McGinly. Neither surname is anything like your Mary’s name which looks to be Trower or something similar.

It’s possible that the Killymard priest didn’t pass details of the marriage to the civil registrar. That’s one explanation and I have come across that before around Co. Donegal. Normally I would then suggest searching the church records (though they are rarely as comprehensive as the civil ones). However Killymard RC church has no marriage records earlier than 1874. (They either weren’t kept or have been lost. For some reason, there’s hardly a parish in Co. Donegal with records before the mid 1800s, whereas in other parts of Ireland eg Dublin and Galway they can start as early as the late 1600s).

So on the face of it there’s neither a civil nor a church record of this marriage for you to find.

Elwyn
Elwyn

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 am

Hi Elwyn,

I'm doing this for a friend's father who is 90 in a few weeks time. I think he will be over the moon just to know where they came from in Ireland.

As for Mary's surname............it is indexed for the births of her children as Trower, Trower and Trowel at the IGI. Thomas gives it as Travers on his marriage and she is indexed as that on her death entry.

It will be useful to let the family know about the RC records of Donegal.

Now back to his Kellys......... :)

Thanks again,
Annette