County Down .....

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

angel

County Down .....

Post by angel » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:38 pm

Hi Everyone

I am looking for the following:
Andrew Quin father John Quin mother Eliza Cain Son Isaac Queen b.abt 1866 as Isacc Quin.

Annabella Townsley father James Townsley Mother Eliza Kane

I have been told that Isaac came from County Down but whereabouts Idon't know. I have death dates for Andrew and Annie but that is all I have. Can anyone help me please?

Heather

DavidWW

Re: County Down

Post by DavidWW » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:02 pm

angel wrote:Hi Everyone

I am looking for the following:
Andrew Quin father John Quin mother Eliza Cain Son Isaac Queen b.abt 1866 as Isacc Quin.

Annabella Townsley father James Townsley Mother Eliza Kane

I have been told that Isaac came from County Down but whereabouts Idon't know. I have death dates for Andrew and Annie but that is all I have. Can anyone help me please?

Heather
Hi Heather

As is so often the case, the starting point is the 1881 census where there is to be found the household .......

Dwelling: 3 Francis Street
Census Place: Govan, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203679 GRO Ref Volume 644-13 EnumDist 24 Page 6
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Andrew QUIN M 35 M Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Gas Work Labourer
Annabella QUIN M 34 F Ireland
Rel: Wife
Isaac QUIN 15 M Ireland
Rel: Son
Occ: Iron Foundry Labourer
John QUIN 14 M Ireland
Rel: Son
Occ: Formerly Scholar
Agnes QUIN 4 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Daur
John CROMBIE U 28 M Ireland
Rel: Lodger
Occ: Brickfield Labourer

Fortunately wee Aggie was born in Scotland. Track down that birth register entry on scotlandspeople.gov.uk, and you will find the place and date of the marriage of the parents. You are fortunate in that a town name is given (in Co. Down) and that the date is after 1864 so that there will be an Irish statutory record regardless of religious adherance (non-Catholic marriages were registered from 1845, but it wasn't until 1864 that all marriages had to be registered via the statutory route).

I'm a wee bit confused about what you write about having the dates of death of Andrew and Annabella, in the sense that it's not clear if you have these Scottish death register entries, - you appear to have the parents' names, but the source is not clear. They are straighforward to find, as is the birth register entry of wee Aggie, as long as you allow a fair degree of latitude in terms of ages, and realise that Annabella was variously known as Annie and Isabella !!

On the same basis, the 1891 and 1901 census entries are straightforward to locate.

Davie

angel

Post by angel » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:43 pm

Hi Davie

I was at New Register House last year and that's where I got copies of their death certs and this where I got the parents names and their occupations. On her death cert Annabella is written down as Annie and Andrew died in Govan Poorhouse. Thanks for the info all I need to do now is find out how to get Irish SR.

Heather

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:48 pm

angel wrote:Hi Davie

I was at New Register House last year and that's where I got copies of their death certs and this where I got the parents names and their occupations. On her death cert Annabella is written down as Annie and Andrew died in Govan Poorhouse. Thanks for the info all I need to do now is find out how to get Irish SR.

Heather
Heather

Well worth finding out from the Mitchell in Glasgow if Andrew's Poor Relief application has survived, as this could give some interesting background info, although you already have the critical info on his and Annabella's parents, as well as, via wee Aggie's birth record entry, the town of marriage.

Davie

angel

Post by angel » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:04 pm

Hi Davie

Thanks for the info about the poor relief i didn't know that you had to apply so I will check th out.

Heather