Your starter for 10 - Where does the name McINAW originate?

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

teabag

Re: Your starter for 10 - Where does the name McINAW origina

Post by teabag » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 am

Hi jfs
It would seem we share the same Gt. Gt. Grandfather; my Gt. Grandfather was Peter’s son, Patrick. His other sons were John and Michael. However, my research suggests that John, Peter’s son in the Muirkirk Census 1841 could have been a nephew. The Returns were anything but accurate. Names used by Peter and other family members were: McInaw, McAna, McNaw and McAnaw. Rachael,the wife of Michael later changed her name to McNay as did some of their children. It is believed that the family came from Dunkineely in Donegal although I have never established this. The name would be a derivation. Unfortunately research in Ireland is just about impossible. If you have any other leads I would be glad to hear of them. All the very best.
Kind Regards, Tom McAnaw

jfs

Post by jfs » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Hello Tom
My Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandfather was Peter and I am derived from his son Michael. My mother is a McNay and the name change seemed to occur during the life of my grandfather John McInaw, son of John Livingston McInaw, Michael's son. He was born a McInaw but was married as a McNay. I did not know that Michael's wife Rachael changed her name as Michael did not. This could account for me not being able to find her death records. I have a newspaper account of Michael's death and he seemed to die homeless and a pauper. He died in murkirk iron works where he was sleeping. Peter died as a result of an accident, falling into water, his wife Margaret also died by falling int a burn from a bridge and John, the one you cast doubts on as Peter's son, died by probable suicide after falling into a pond of hot water in Excelsior Iron Works, Wishaw.
The mcInaw clan have proven very difficult to trace due to their change of names but I am succeeding slowly.
My name, by the way, is John Smith (called Ian).
Do you know when Rachael died ?, Also what makes you think John was a nephew.

Kind regards
Ian

teabag

Post by teabag » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi Ian great to hear from you. Must be brief but I will post again soon. Rachael died in Camlachie March 1919, her parents John Livingston and Jane McLean as given on death certificate are the same as given on marriage certificate with Michael. However, the death certificate states she was the widow of John McNay. She may have remarried after Michael’s death in 1909. John McAnaw, Michael’s eldest son married Mary Ann Banks Feb 1891 Crosscanonby Eng. His name is given as McInaw on the marriage certificate. Hope we keep in touch Ian, would like to know the name of the newspaper with details of Michael's death.
Kind regards
Tom

jfs

Post by jfs » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi Tom,
Sorry for delay in replying.
The newspaper reporting Michael mcinaw,s death was 'the Ayr advertiser or west country and Galloway journal dated Thursday June 24th 1909' and I obtained a copy of the entry from Cumnock, Ayrshire library.

I have always meant to go back to see if I can find the death notifications for Peter and John mcinaw but have not done so so far.

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

Ian

teabag

Post by teabag » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi Ian,
Great to hear from you, we were on holiday.
In my original post I said that John in (1841 Census) may have been a nephew of Peter. The reason being, I had two John’s in my file, both of them born in Ireland about 1833. The only record of death for a John of this age was the drowning in Wishaw in 1881.

The Census of Auchinleck 1871 show’s a John McInaw Living next door to Peter’s eldest daughter Catherine. He was born in Ireland 1833 but this Johns’ father’s name was Hugh, I cannot find any record of his father being in Scotland and no other record of John himself. John was not with his family in Auchinleck at the1881 Census. Could it have been him was in Wishaw? That is why I thought he could have been a nephew.

However, since my last post I have been doing a bit more digging in the archives and found a John McInaw who was on board the S.S. STATE of GEORGIA leaving Glasgow and arrived in New York on 28th Feb 1881, his given year of birth was 1833. Was this our other John? It seem's likely. What do you think?

Peter’s son John would have been the person who drowned in Wishaw. My Gt. Gt Grandfather, John’s brother, left Muirkirk for Motherwell/Wishaw area about 1872. It’s sad that no one claimed John; he must have been a bit of loner, a wanderer of no fixed abode.

Thanks for the information on Michael.

Hope to hear from you again.

Kind Regards

Tom

button

Post by button » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 am

I am very late to this post but my great-great-grandmother was McInaw. Her father was a George McInaw, one of 3 brothers (Anthony was another name) who came from Northern Ireland or Scotland originally but settled in South Donegal. We have very little information on them or the name. There are a number of McInaw families in South Donegal (Ireland) still.
It may be of no help to you but there has always been a strong tradition of families traveling between Donegal and Scotland even to this day.
We are trying to find out more about our McInaws. Family folklore says the 3 brothers were presbyterian however my great-great-grandmother was Roman Catholic. She was born around 1820's. Happy hunting.

teabag

Post by teabag » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi Button
Thanks for your post, any information on the McInaw family is always welcome. My own family came from Donegal about 1838.my father claimed it to be Letterkenny while his elder sister said Dunkineely.
The Census returns of Muirkirk Ayr 1871 list’s a John McInaw; John was born in Ireland about 1833. His parents were George and Catherine Harvey or Harley;
I have never uncovered any records of George or his wife Catherine in Scotland. But, as you say they did tend to travel back and forth. However, records of John; He was married in Glasgow in 1857 - Muirkirk Census of 1871.John is not listed on the Census returns Muirkirk 1881, his wife Mary named as head of house. There were no further searches for the family.
My interest in John was because he was living next doors to a daughter of my Gt. Gt. Gt. Grandfather Peter McInaw at the Census of 1871, for that reason I thought he may have been a cousin.
Not suggesting that this is the George McInaw in your post, but some McInaw visiting the site may find it useful.

Best Regards
Teabag
P.S
John and his wife Mary Mumford were married in Shettleston R.C Church Glasgow 7th of May 1857

Meesh117

Post by Meesh117 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:10 am

I came across this site - as I'm also trying to trace my McInaw roots. I actually live just outside Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA. My maternal grandmother's name is Anna McInaw McMenamin she was born in Drimolost (Mount Charles) Donegal Co, Ireland in 1900 and died in 2004 @ 104 yrs old in Philadelphia, PA (her siblings were George, Mary, Catherine, Charles, Patrick, Margaret, Anthony, Hugh and Corneilius)

her parents were Anthony McInaw (1865-1938) & Catherine Monoghan (my great Grandparents) - anthony's siblings were (Ann, Mary, Parick, Susan, George and Hugh)
* It is my understanding that Anthony and his siblings were sent to USA (Ohio) in the 1880's to live with an aunt and uncle because their parents died. Anthony then went back to Ireland before he met his wife.

her grandparents were George McInaw (1840-1918) & Mary Ann Harvey (my great-great grandparents) - George was one of 5 children (don't know the names)

her great grandparents were George McInaw (1789 scotland-1880 ireland) & Catherine Boyle (1802-1884) (my great-great-great grandparents)

* not sure if i have the maiden names of both George's wife in correct order

*I have done a family tree from my great grandparents (1865) to current time (2013) (6 generations) and there are 500 names in our tree with 90% still living in (Ireland, England, USA)

Michelle Sague Abiuso

Sague -McMenamin -McInaw

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:51 am

Hello Michelle
[TS_welcome]
I am sure one of the posters to this thread will get back to you soon.
They would have received notification of a post on this thread. :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Meesh117

Post by Meesh117 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:49 am

Just came across your post about McInaw.... I live just outside Philadelphia, PA (USA) my grandmother was Anna McInaw (1900 - 2004)- She was born in Drimalost, Mount Charles, Co. Donegal Ireland - her parents were Anthony and Catherine (Monaghan) McInaw - their children were George, Mary, Catherine, Anna (my grandmother), Charles, Patrick, Margaret, Anthony, Hugh, Cornelius **many came to the Philadelphia Area of Pennsylvania and many stayed in Mount Charles where they raised their families. Anthony's parents were George and MaryAnn (Harvey) McInaw... his grandparents were George (DOB 1789) and Catherine(Boyle) McInaw. It is my understanding that my greatx2 or x3 came from Scotland.

I recently have filled out the family tree from my great grandparents Anthony and Catherine to the present.... we have grown by 6 generations with 500 people in our tree.... many sets of twins and one set of triplets. My grandmother Anna married Neil McMenamin - she died in October 2004.... she was 3 mos shy of age 105.