The Lost Boy and the Way Ahead

A country in its own right

Moderator: Global Moderators

Lorna Allison

The Lost Boy and the Way Ahead

Post by Lorna Allison » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:38 pm

Hello Folks

Invest some capital in Ancestry and in sending for certs, come the New Year. That is the plan and this is a request for advice on the way ahead to try to minimise the outlay - there's that old Scots bit coming out again :?

If any of you would be good enough to take the time to read the resume below and give me advice I should be so grateful. In the past MaryE, Sporran and others helped me unearth my Welsh family. I put a lot of flesh on the bones and, thanks to Sporran, my little lost boy turned up in Pontypool Union Workhouse for 10 years only to get lost again after the 1901 census.

It has got that he hovers at my shoulder, this little brother of my grannie's, begging to be found.

Well, these are the details friends and how I think I might go forward but your suggestions would be much appreciated:

John Charles PRICE or WATKINS

Resume:

b. Pontypool 1884 to John PRICE and Annie CURZON

Enters Pontypool Union Workhouse age 3 in 1887 along with sister Emily (10) b. Pontypool 1877.

Emily leaves to enter domestic service 1890 aged 13. Emily traced to Birmingham and known to have kept in touch with sister Florence (my Gran) from then on.

John Charles leaves Workhouse aged 13 in 1897 (normal age for leaving the Workhouse) following request by Charles WATKINS, Coachman, to adopt him.

Census 1901 - John Charles, now WATKINS listed as “son aged 16, coalminer”, with Watkins family in Pontypool. Also in family – son (?) Willie Watkins aged 9. Father Charles now also coalminer.

Census 1911 – John Charles no longer with Watkins family. William C Watkins, son, now 19 and Coalminer.

Charles WATKINS died 1928 wife signed death cert.

Way Forward:

Join Ancestry and search:
Marriage records for all JC PRICE/WATKINS – England & Wales
WWI records for any JC PRICE/WATKINS aged 30 in 1914
Census 1911 England & Wales
(Useless at searching emigrant records so giving that a body swerve in the meantime)

Thoughts:
Maybe Charles WATKINS left a will
Research Charles Watkins & wife Emily back to see if they are connected to Price or Curzon families (but this will not help find John Charles)
Any mining disasters in Abersychan/Pontypool mines 1901 onwards with lists of deaths obtainable online?

Nothing jumps out at me except the sure knowledge that a lot of slog will be involved given that I have two surnames to search and thoosands of Prices and Watkins - Ah well, I am not the first with that problem :D

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

LesleyB

Re: The Lost Boy and the Way Ahead

Post by LesleyB » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:32 am

Hi Lorna
Marriage records for all JC PRICE/WATKINS – England & Wales
WWI records for any JC PRICE/WATKINS aged 30 in 1914
Census 1911 England & Wales
Before spending money for a sub, have you tried:
1. Freebmd at http://www.freebmd.org.uk for marriage records for all JC PRICE/WATKINS – England & Wales. The indexes seem reasonably complete up till about the mid 1930s. http://www.freebmd.org.uk/progressM.shtml
2. Medal rolls at the National Archives site, to see if the name combination occurs for WWI records for any JC PRICE/WATKINS http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/docu ... ueryType=1
Also http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14 just incase he was called up and did not survive.
3. Census 1911 England & Wales at http://www.1911census.co.uk
- it is still a pay site, but the search results give little more to work with than those at Ancestry (if you are not a paying customer!)
(Useless at searching emigrant records so giving that a body swerve in the meantime)
Try FindMyPast at www.findmypast.co.uk - again, a free search gives more info than at Ancestry!

Also - check out your local library, as you may be able to get free Ancestry access there.

Best wishes
Lesley

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:52 pm

You are a pal Lesley :D I have copied those links down and will get started right away - since they are free! When I started FH I had a lot of sites bookmarked but with changes to various things I seem to have difficulty finding them and give up too easily - anno domini. I am most grateful to you.

I've been knee deep in pink wool for several months as first grand daughter is on the way but need to take a rest. Jolly well hope it doesn't turn out to be a boy. Does pink wool dye navy blue :lol:

Many thanks again, will post if there is a positive result.

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Congrats Lorna & that's why I always stuck to lemon or white until after the cord was cut :)
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins