French Franc

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

helenbee

Post by helenbee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:03 pm

Was this gentleman called Anson MacKay, private in the Cameron Highlanders? If so, there's a medal card available for him online at the National Archives site, document WO 372/13.

Helen
Speirs - Glasgow, Kilbarchan
McAuslan - Glasgow, Argyll
Fleming - Glasgow, Paisley
Henderson - Paisley
McQuarrie - Argyll
Wright - Govan, Tarbolton
Clark - Tarbolton
Lucas - Tarbolton

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:32 pm

Maisie
thanks very much for the link - fascinating reading! Certainly sounds like the situation with my grandfather. He rejoined the Edinburgh police force after he returned home.
I noticed they weren't supposed to take any foreign money home with them!! He maybe decided to keep itas a souvenier!
Helen - yes that is my grandfather - I downloaded the medal card .

Many thanks for your replies. I wonder what else I will find?

PS - the french franc and card were found along with a wee notebook which he kept detailing some of his journey travelling during the war. It wasn't kept regularly although it did mention the death of his brother in the war which was very sad to read.
Looking for
Mackay Morrison Manson - Sutherland
Bain Sinclair Gunn Henderson Levack Dunnet Lyall More Corner Miller-Caithness
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney

helenbee

Post by helenbee » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:52 am

If these documents mention any other names, and you have the time, I would strongly urge you to transcribe them (or parts) and get the names onto the web somewhere so that anyone searching for the other names can find them when they search. These are fascinating documents to anyone with relatives involved at the time.
Speirs - Glasgow, Kilbarchan
McAuslan - Glasgow, Argyll
Fleming - Glasgow, Paisley
Henderson - Paisley
McQuarrie - Argyll
Wright - Govan, Tarbolton
Clark - Tarbolton
Lucas - Tarbolton

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Hi Helen
I wouldn't know where to start. The writing is quite illegible in places although I think you can get the gist of what he has written.

There seems to be addresses - a couple of them I know are his brothers' addresses. Some have a name, usually a female, could it be next of kin for someone or contacts he made when in war? I don't suppose we'll ever know.
He served in Egypt and Greece and that is where the most detail is, such as it is. There's about 6 pages, a tiny notepad, with this information on it.

The following verse is also written:

When storms and scenes are passed and gone
Shall sweet hours succeed
? old to ease a troubled mind
Sleep is a friend indeed
With these few lines I send my mind
You will in a question find
My answers plain to find it out
Save is a torment when in doubt

I think that's the correct words!
Looking for
Mackay Morrison Manson - Sutherland
Bain Sinclair Gunn Henderson Levack Dunnet Lyall More Corner Miller-Caithness
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney