British subject born in Germany

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:16 am

Hi again!
Here are the instructions for uploading, just in case you're not already staring at them:

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6496

If they were married in the German church and a German speaker was filling out the form, that may be why his name is spelled Georg.

I'm curious to see it!

Sarah

katjw

Post by katjw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:10 am

Thanks Sarah,
I thought I may have done it wrong as I didn't see the image come up but it does say it may take 24hrs to be posted.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1814

Thanks for all your help :D
Katrina

Gallery URL added - AndrewP
Forsyth, Winning, Robertson, Williams, Milton
{Renfrew, Lanark)

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:17 am

Hi Katrina,
It has to wait for an Admin member to okay it. I don't see any online, although there are a couple here in North America who should be awake :lol: Maybe they are actually doing something on a Saturday night :shock: Helping out the Easter Bunny, no doubt :lol:

I may be asleep before it gets posted, but I look forward to having a look at it in the morning!

Regards,
Sarah

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:58 am

Hi Kat,

Georg's surname looks like Hillgelms (possibly should have been Willhelms), while the parents are given as Williams.

Bear in mind that the couple will have completed the marriage schedule and that document was transcribed by the assistant registrar. Maybe the assistant registrar's reading of his signature has led to the names that we see there.

All the best,

AndrewP

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:28 am

Thanks, Andrew
That is interesting. Looks like Willgelms to me-- good thing it wasn't indexed as such! :shock: Although Wil*ms would have caught it (unless that's really an in initial H as you thought...)

Your explanation of how the strange spelling got there is as good as any...!

Regards,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:06 am

A wee bit closer and definitely worth looking at the original........................

1871 -

Name: George William
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1828
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Ann
Where born: Hate Nk, Germany
Registration Number: 644/1
Registration district: Central District
Civil Parish: Glasgow Barony
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 452 Dobbies Evan
ED: 92
Household schedule number: 23
Line: 7
Roll: CSSCT1871_124
Household Members:
Name Age
George William 43
Ann William 40
Margt William 4
George William 2
Nicole William 3 Mo
Tachole Hern 40
Adelphia Kings 28

His 2 lodgers appear to be have been born at the same place.

You never know your luck maybe he made a poorhouse application while living at Glasgow.

Regards,
Annette

katjw

Post by katjw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:09 am

Thankyou, Andrew, and Sarah,

I couldn't work out why his surname would be different to his parents, operator error makes sense!

While I have you staring at the transcript, I would love your opinions on what the mothers maiden names may be. I think Margaret is Ross, but Dorothea (?) ](*,)

Cheers,
Katrina
{Renfrew, Lanark)

katjw

Post by katjw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:20 am

Wow Annette,
Up until now I'd only found them in the 1881 census. There is a child there I hadn't known about, Nicole, I'm off to investigate that one now.
I have a George Williams who died in 1902 in the City poorhouse, Glasgow, although occupation and parents names don't match he is a widower of Ann McDonald so I am sure it's my George. Ann seems to have died in the Woodilee Asylum in 1882, here her parents are unknown to the informant.
It seems really sad that their children weren't able (or chose not) to look after them.
Katrina

Have just got the census from SP, Nicole is actually Jacob so no need to go looking for that one, I've got him already.
{Renfrew, Lanark)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:56 am

katjw wrote:Wow Annette,
Up until now I'd only found them in the 1881 census. There is a child there I hadn't known about, Nicole, I'm off to investigate that one now.
I have a George Williams who died in 1902 in the City poorhouse, Glasgow, although occupation and parents names don't match he is a widower of Ann McDonald so I am sure it's my George. Ann seems to have died in the Woodilee Asylum in 1882, here her parents are unknown to the informant.
It seems really sad that their children weren't able (or chose not) to look after them.
Katrina

Have just got the census from SP, Nicole is actually Jacob so no need to go looking for that one, I've got him already.
You can request Ann's records at Woodilee from the archives. Just send them an email.

I think there is a good chance that there may be a poorhouse application from her too.

I don't get to The Mitchell Library very often these days but if I get the chance on Tuesday I will have a look for you.

Regards,
Annette

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:17 am

katjw wrote:Thankyou, Andrew, and Sarah,

I couldn't work out why his surname would be different to his parents, operator error makes sense!

While I have you staring at the transcript, I would love your opinions on what the mothers maiden names may be. I think Margaret is Ross, but Dorothea (?) ](*,)

Cheers,
Katrina
I see Dorothea's surname as Drochon.