Need help with Norwegian or Danish ancestors ?

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

littaol

Re: Need help with Norwegian or Danish ancestors ?

Post by littaol » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:34 am

Searching Danish records is not easy, but I can give you the links to the webpages, I use:

Census records: http://ddd.dda.dk/ddd_en.htm

Parish records and some census records (scanned and not searchable): http://www.arkivalieronline.dk/English/default.aspx

I have found Philipmine baptism: http://www.loslekt.com/misc/philipmdab.png

As you can see, her parents are Philip Rasch and Margarethe Kirstin Jensdatter. Her father had died earlier that year at the age of 26: http://www.loslekt.com/misc/philraschdod.png and it does not look as if they had other children.

Philip in 1801 with his parents:
Bornholm, Vester, Rønne Købstad, NO. 21 Øster Kvarter, , 285, FT1801, A7142
Navn: Alder: Civilstand: Stilling i husstanden: Erhverv:
Herman Rasch 44 gift Husbonde Avlsmand
Ellen Jensdatter 37 gift hans kone
Philip Rasch 4 ugift deres barn
Hedevig Rasch 1 ugift deres barn
Christen Birk 19 ugift Tjenestekarl Avlskarl
Kirsten Marcusdatter 23 ugift Tjenestepige Enepige
Giertrud Hansdatter 17 ugift Tjenestepige Barnepige
Christian Falk 14 ugift Tjenestedreng Dreng
Andreas Larsen 11 ugift Tjenestedreng Dreng
Niels Falk 20 ugift Tjenestekarl Gårdskarl

The baptism of Christian Peder Vest, Philipmines husband and Lars Philips father: http://www.loslekt.com/misc/chrdab.png
His father is an innkeeper.

I found a list of people who emigrated from Bornholm. On the list there are 3 of the half-brothers of Lars Philip:
Jens Christian, born 11 Feb 1857, emigrated 10 May 1875, travelled to Fon du Lac, Wisconsin, occupation: servant
Herman Martin, born 15 Sep 1860, emigrated 26 Apr 1882 to Central City (??), occupation: blacksmith
Viggo Rasch, born 30 Apr 1865, emigrated 7 May 1887 to Albert Sea, Minnesota, occupation: carpenter
All 3 use the last name: Rømer (Roemer) after their father.

I do not think that the parents of Lars Philip had other children, so the only living relatives that can be found is either through his parents siblings or through his half-brothers.

PS An advice: Always remember to attach links to previous posts about the subject in order to save our precious time: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... ;topicseen
[color=#800040]Best regards,
Litta

Member of Norwegian and Danish genealogical societies[/color]

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Fantastic work, Litta! =D>
Just for fun, here is an update at this end over morning coffee in Minnesota.
littaol wrote: I found a list of people who emigrated from Bornholm. On the list there are 3 of the half-brothers of Lars Philip:
Jens Christian, born 11 Feb 1857, emigrated 10 May 1875, travelled to Fon du Lac, Wisconsin, occupation: servant
Jens Christian has become James by 1900 and is living in Neenah, Winnebago county, Wisconsin. He is a hotel keeper and has a wife, Mary, and children Walter, Godfried, Jessie, Mary, Clara and Vieggo
littaol wrote: Herman Martin, born 15 Sep 1860, emigrated 26 Apr 1882 to Central City (??), occupation: blacksmith
Herman has gone to Port Gamble, Kitsap county, Washington. He is working in a mill and has a Norwegian wife Cristine and two children, William and Sophia, born in Washington state.
littaol wrote:.Viggo Rasch, born 30 Apr 1865, emigrated 7 May 1887 to Albert Sea, Minnesota, occupation: carpenter
There are a number of Romers in Albert Lea, Freeborn county, Minnesota in 1900, none of whom appear to be Viggo Rasch. I think they are all one family. There is a Christian J Romer, farmer, born Oct 1857 in Denmark, who came over in 1888. He has a wife Petrea and 9 children. All but the last two were born in Denmark and came over in 1889 with their mother. Ellen C, Johannes, Anna, Hilda and Einar are living at home. Fred and Marie are working in other households in Albert Lea. The other two must be elsewhere (I only know there are nine because of what Petrea said on the census).

I was just at the library yesterday searching death records in Minnesota and if Viggo died before 1900 there is not much of a chance to find a record of it. James (Jens Christian) appears to have named his youngest child after his brother.
littaol wrote:PS An advice: Always remember to attach links to previous posts about the subject in order to save our precious time: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... ;topicseen
An important point for all to remember! Please everybody, give all the information you have, even if it is only speculation by others. You never know what will help and it will save time.

All the best,
Sarah

littaol

Post by littaol » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Great Sarah !

I briefly checked Ancestry, but did not find them right away. I always feel a little ineffective, when searching Ancestry.............. Very often I can't find anything and I am sure it is beacuse I do something wrong.

A good thing that others have good sources and the ability to use them properly!
Litta

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:38 pm

littaol wrote: I briefly checked Ancestry, but did not find them right away. I always feel a little ineffective, when searching Ancestry.............. Very often I can't find anything and I am sure it is beacuse I do something wrong.
:lol: Exactly the way I felt trying to navigate those Norwegian records you were helping me with the other day! :lol:

The great thing about this forum is that we can take advantage of different people's expertise and also contribute to the areas we know best. [talkingscot]

All the best,
Sarah

houston

Post by houston » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:26 am

Dear Girls
What can I say - just came back to look at the page again and there was so much more that I didnt expect - thanks is never enough. As Sarah say Littaol Fantastic work and thrilling for those of us down under who had no information at all. Its happy feelings alround.
God Bless you all
houston.
P.S. When we have managed to absorb our good fortune we may want to seek out the ones who went to America - but for now - Big thanks.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu May 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Hello Litta,

Looks like one of our new members could do with some help with a possible Norwegian death.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15043

Regards,
Annette

littaol

Post by littaol » Fri May 07, 2010 8:03 am

Dear Annette

I will follow up the debate in the original forum.
Litta

littaol

Post by littaol » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:35 pm

To Houston

I found a Danish genealogist who has been researching the Rasch family and sent him a question about Philipmine.

This is his reply (translated by me):

"I have now checked my notes about the Rasch family and found that Philip Rasch was baptized in Rønne (Ronne) in 1797 and had a daughter Philupmine born in Knudsker 8 Oct 1826. She married Christian Peter Westh in Knudsker 13 Sept 1850 and Jens Rømer (Romer) West on 1 April 1856, also in Knudsker.
All my notes are handwritten and it takes time to sort them out. If the person in New Zealand is interested, I can list the family branch in question back to 1600 and also add pictures and photos. But since this is time consuming and I also have my work to attend to, I have to ask for the sum of 1000 DKR to do the job."

I wonder what he means with pictures and photos :?: But since this is what he wrote, I thought I would at least leave it to you to decide, what to do. I do not know anything about this person and can not quarantee the quality of the informations.

houston

Post by houston » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:21 am

Dear Littaol

Back again
I have been handed a copy of 'Memorial for Letters of Naturalization" dated 26th day June, 1897 in Australia for a Cornelius Andrew Westh who arrived in in the colony of Victoria by the ship 'Oldenburg' 5/1/1860 from the port of London England
This document says he is 54 yrears of age and was born at Bornholm, Denmark - occupation Miner or Mariner

As my previous searching is of relatives from Bornholm I am wondering if this is a member of the same family. Is it possible for you to investigate if for me.
With thanks
houston

Roxy

Post by Roxy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:55 pm

Dear Litta,

Just a public thanks for your help with details of my wife's Danish relatives.

Thanks!

Roxy
I'll think of something appropriate soon!