The Auld Alliance

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: The Auld Alliance

Post by SarahND » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi Annette,
Given the way the tone of this topic has developed, I have no idea if you're seriously looking for someone or not! :shock: :lol: If you are, then do tell who it is and where and once I've had my morning coffee I'll have a look.

[cheers] (that's coffee in the mugs)
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:00 pm

SarahND wrote:Hi Annette,
Given the way the tone of this topic has developed, I have no idea if you're seriously looking for someone or not! :shock: :lol: If you are, then do tell who it is and where and once I've had my morning coffee I'll have a look.

[cheers] (that's coffee in the mugs)
Sarah
Hi Sarah,

Don't know if Dunkirk is included or not. Looking for anything on Minnie (I have no idea if that's a shortened name or not - she used it on the 1891 census and when she married) Steven(s) born about 1865 at Dunkirk. Parents were Peter Steven(s), a Pilot and Joan Campbell.

Thanks,
Annette

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Annette,
The place is probably the problem. Dunkerque (note French spelling) is in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region and as far as I can see, Ancestry doesn't yet have any records there. Let's hope they come up soon!

All the best,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Thanks for looking Sarah. :D

Best wishes,
Annette

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:59 pm

I think you can get records for Nord Pas de Calais via LDS. My 4th cousin managed to get details of his grandmother's birth in Boulogne & we're trying to figure out some census info - we're not sure if it's g grandfather or someone else called Kerr. He's in Oz but managed to find it without too much trouble through his local LDS centre.

Muriel
Searching Ross - Lochwinnoch & Eaglesham, Renfrewshire; Glasgow; Glover - Paisley; Macadam - Glasgow.

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi Sarah,et al.My Grand Father Died in Lagny in 1953 and i have a clutch of Gr GrandParents from around the Grenoble area,i think.As i do not speak French,this Blood line will remain closed until,i either go to Grenoble or if i can get help from over there.If Ancestry open the whole of France online,this may help but i have to confess all the time i subscibed to Ancestry,i did not find any info i was looking for at all.I am not the brightest on the pc but every search drew a blank.I thought Ancestry for me was difficult to use but hey,this hobby is only easy if you are on WDYTYA.Any help however small greatly appreciated,David [-o<
Banks,Bennet-Clark,Bird,Cholat,Clark,Clay,Dupre,Dupuis,Fraser,Grant,Gunn,Hooper
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue May 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi David,
In the meantime I have let my Ancestry subscription lapse, to give my pocketbook a rest :wink: I was hoping they would offer me a deal, since I have been subscribing since 2001, but so far nothing. I may subscribe next from the French site, since it is quite a bit cheaper (taking into account the current exchange rate). The UK site is the cheapest, around 20% off the U.S. rate for a world deluxe (again, looking at the exchange rate). When I get back to France in September, I'll see if I can find something for you. By then maybe they will have more up on your part of France.

All the best,
Sarah

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Wed May 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi Sarah,Thank You for that.Ancestry is not cheap,that's for sure.I think if you knew your way around the site and knew how to get the most out of it .But if you don't like me it is not worth it,Regards,David :)
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed May 12, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi David
Ancestry is not cheap,that's for sure.
It is, if you go to Cupar Library - you can access Ancestry there for free....doesn't get much chaeaper than that! :D

Best wishes
Lesley

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Wed May 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi Lesley,Yes that is cheap all right.Is there any body at the Library who could help me get the benefit of Ancestry,because i have subscribed over the years and honestly i have had no success with any searches.Maybe you could do a short refresher course for those that are a bit slow on the uptake,Lesley.There has to be a wee business venture here for you,Regards,David :lol: