Searching for Italian name

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mary Kate

Searching for Italian name

Post by Mary Kate » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi,

much to my surprise I've found an Italian name, whilst searching my dad's side of the family. The name I've uncovered is Caesar Altria. He was born in 1771, in the 1841 census he is shown as being born in "foreign parts".

The family lived in Aberdeen, and they are noted in directories as optical, and barometer makers. Caeser's son, he was named for his father, was optician to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

I think they may have come from the Como region of Italy, I found this information on the Aberdeen University website, they have some of Caesar's work in the university museum,

"Hydrometer by Altria (circa 1846). Used for measuring the density of liquids. The Altrias were likely one of the many north Italian families who brought their glass-blowing skills to Britain and established thriving barometer businesses in the first half of the 19th century. "

Can anybody point me in the right direction please, as to how I find out were in north Italy they were from.

Many Thanks

Mary Kate

LesleyB

Re: Searching for Italian name

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:57 am

This Pinterest page, if it is not yours (!) may be of interest - some interesting files.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:06 am

LesleyB wrote:This Pinterest page, if it is not yours (!) may be of interest - some interesting files.
Is this the one Lesley?

http://www.pinterest.com/misshoneybea/artariaaltria/

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 am

Oh whoops - was so busy looking at the pictures that I forgot to post the link!! :oops: Thanks Annette!

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Hello Mary Kate,

In the East Neuk Chronicle there’s a bit of a story about John Altria, described as “a son of Caesar Altria, an Italian, who carried on a successful business as a glass blower and optician for many years in that house with the outer balconies nearly at the foot of Skene Street”. https://archive.org/stream/eastneukchro ... 6/mode/2up

John appears to have been the son of the Caesar who died 1869, and grandson of the original. The original Caesar died 14 April, 1846, at 16 Skene Street, aged 90, according to this book. I checked the newspaper and 90 was the age printed. https://archive.org/stream/aberdeenjour ... 7/mode/2up

If he was recorded as age 70 on the 1841 census he may have been born as far back as 1766, but an age of 90 in 1846 would make it 1756. Best toss a coin.

Some earlier directories.
1837 - http://books.google.com.au/books?id=0ec ... J&pg=PA167
1835 - https://archive.org/stream/aberdeenpost ... 1/mode/2up
1820 - https://archive.org/stream/commercialdi ... 9/mode/2up

No help with his ancestors.

All the best,
Alan

Mary Kate

Post by Mary Kate » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi,

My thanks to Lesley B, and to Alan. I had seen the Pinterest page, but it doesn't belong to me :-). Thank you Alan for the story on John. That was one I had missed, from everything I've read on them so far, I really like them.

I've tried all of the websites on Italian surnames, but no joy so far. My youngest daughter thinks we should go to Italy, purely in the name of research, of course.

Many Thanks

Mary Kate

Missie

Post by Missie » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi Mary Kate.

It is my Pinterest board that you have found. I have also seen your post on Italiangeanealogy.com.

These are my family and they are such an interesting family. The Altria Family are the only family over here and anyone with that name are all related. The original name is Artaria and they come from Blevio, Nr Como, Lombardy. They are a highly creative family, and actually were one of the premier music publishers in the 18th Century, publishing people such as Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn. In fact, they had a dispute with Beethoven which led to the creation and introduction of copyright law. The publishing business moved to Wien and was run by various family members over the generations. Other members of the family were also involved in the art world (google Artaria and Fontaine, and Henry Artaria, the latter is quite a sad story and I have read between the lines on that one). I believe one of them (and I think it was Pasquale Artaria but I may be wrong on that, don't have my notes to hand) was involved in the new craft of lithographs. I haven't yet been, but I believe their house in Blevio is now a museum, or at least noted as being their house.

We do not know when or how Caesar I arrived in Scotland (we have gone back as far as is possible in Italy as well, to his father, also called Caesar). As you have seen, Caesar II was optician to Queen Victoria and also made scientific instruments and barometers and has pieces in The Marischal Museum Aberdeen. Caesar II's eldest son (my gg grandfather, and also a tailor) moved to London, with the rest of the family following after Caesar's death. John (mentioned in a previous post) also ended up in London and got himself into a bit of trouble for stealing from his employers!

Hope that helps. If you want any further info, please shout.

Regards,

Missie

StewL

Post by StewL » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:05 am

Hello Missie
[TS_welcome]
I am sure your information will be most welcome by those contributing to the thread.
Someone will be along shortly who has contributed.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Mary Kate

Post by Mary Kate » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi Missie,

I've just picked up your information on the family on this site. It's really great to have the have all of this information, and to know where they came from. The fact that they were into the arts makes sense, as it has come down the ages, to four of us, in the present day :)

I had followed your lead about the art gallery ownership, and found Henry in London, on this link

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xBJa ... urce=bl&ot

Once again, thank you so much for the information,

Take care,

Mary Kate

Missie

Post by Missie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:11 pm

It's funny you say about it the creativity being carried down, as my gg grandfather (Gavin Altria) was a tailor, and I dabble in various creative arts, but my main interest is bespoke seamstress and one of my sons is highly creative/artistic. There is another member of the Artaria family who moved to Belgium and he too was a tailor!

Re Henry, have a look at the british library newpaper archives. He basically committed suicide. His wife remarried very quickly and I wonder whether she was having an affair, which sent him over the edge as it were. She would have been a wealthy widow, methinks! Henry was in London when my gg-grandfather was and were "around the corner" from each other, although London in those days was considerably smaller than today and I guess most people were around the corner from each other. I often wonder if they knew about each other.

I'd love to know where you and your family fit on the family tree. My tree is on genesreunited, if you are interested.