Interest in Spain

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

sheilajim

Interest in Spain

Post by sheilajim » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi All

My husband's father's family came from Spain. Does anyone know of any Spanish Genealogical sites?

My husband's father was visiting Spain in the 1930's with his parents, brother and sisters. He was just a teenager at the time, but was drafted, much against his will, to work for Franco's Regime. He and his brother escaped to Gibralter in a wild ride and were shot by Franco's soldiers. The authorities in Gibralter sent them back to the United States.

It was a hair raising tale my husband's father told.

I would like to trace my husband's family in Spain. It would also be nice if I could confirm the story that his father told.

Regards

Sheila
Sheila

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:39 pm

See http://www.cyndislist.com/spain.htm

The good news is that the records, where they have survived they are among the best in Europe, e.g. civil birth records show the names of the grandparents. Civil registration started in 1870, and church records back to 1650 or earlier.

The less than good news is that records are not centrally held, but spread all over the place, down to the municipal level, and even lower in some cities.

And then there's the naming patterns which you will need to study carefully.

¡buena caza!

David
Last edited by DavidWW on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:45 am

Hi David

Thanks for that information. I hope that the records can be accessed in English. While my husband can speak some Spanish, he was educated in English and I am not sure that he can read or write Spanish.

My Father-in-Law, who died two years ago, also said that his parents, or maybe it was his grandparents, were the first couple to be married in a civil ceremony in Spain.

Thanks Again

Sheila
Sheila

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:10 am

sheilajim wrote:Hi David

Thanks for that information. I hope that the records can be accessed in English.
I would hae ma doots :cry:
sheilajim wrote:While my husband can speak some Spanish, he was educated in English and I am not sure that he can read or write Spanish.

My Father-in-Law, who died two years ago, also said that his parents, or maybe it was his grandparents, were the first couple to be married in a civil ceremony in Spain.
Now that would have to have been a newsworthy item :!:

David

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:05 am

Hi Dave

You are right, that should be a newsworth event. They were unusual being Protestants in a Catholic Spain.

It is too bad that I might not be able to research Spain in English. My husband isn't as interested in Genealogy as I am.

When my husband comes home from work tonight, I will tackle him and try to get the names of his grandparents, and ask him how well he can read and write in Spanish.

If he doesn't know the names of his grandparents, or greatgrandparents, he might be able to get the information from some of his aunts.

Regards

Sheila
Sheila

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:57 am

Hi Sheila,
On the FamilySearch website there is a section that will coach you on genealogy terms in Spanish and even give you sample letters to write to archives, etc. It's under the Research Guidance section:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Spanis.ASP

With a little practice, I'm sure you can learn to recognize the important words and if all else fails, where you are living there is certainly enough of a pool of native Spanish speakers to find someone to help, perhaps at your local FHC. Mexican and/or California Spanish is different from the Spanish of Spain, but not so different that it can't be understood in writing.

Good luck!
Sarah

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:58 pm

Hi Sarah

Thanks for the information. I will be going to the Family Search site to learn all that I can.

I do have some good news. My husband said that although it would be difficult, he can read and write some Spanish if needed. \:D/

He also remembered his grandparents names. He suggested that if I need more information to get in touch with his sister who spent 3 months in Spain visiting relatives there, when she was about twenty years old. Too bad that she lives in Oregon.

Thank you very much for your help. This is like starting all over again. 8)

Best Wishes

Sheila
Sheila

dizzybint

Re: Interest in Spain

Post by dizzybint » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:09 pm

My father was from Malaga Spain and ran away from Francos army joining the Foreign Legion at a very young age.. he then absonded and joined our British Army and lived near Coventry where my mothere met him.. He could never go back to Spain and spent most of his life in Derby. I never got to meet him before he died in 1998 but would love to know more about his past, my grandparets in malaga too, but have hit a brick wall as his family in Derby dont know much either..When I contacted Malaga some years ago they said they could do nothing without me knowing his mothers maiden name which of course I didnt, as no nothing about them..
Last edited by dizzybint on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dizzybint

Re: Interest in Spain

Post by dizzybint » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:11 pm

If you click on the Union flag our our country you can change it all to english on that site.. smashing thanks..