Daughters of Utah Pioneers

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

joette
Global Moderator

Daughters of Utah Pioneers

Post by joette » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:25 pm

http://www.dupinternational.org/.
This website is avaiable to research your Utah Pioneering ancestors.
Despite being a lifelong member of the LDS Church I never knew that my connection to the Church went beyond my Mum.
However I found this year a genuine Utah pioneer.

This website provides names-maiden & married,birth & death dates of these women& men.
You may be surprised to find some of yours on here like me.

Copies of these histories are available to direct descendants and/or DUP paid up members. Costs are $0.25 per page. Minimum charge of $1.00.
Thought it may be of interest to some.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:01 pm

That's a great post, Joette, and will probably be useful to many others as well.

Frances

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:17 pm

If you consider that most of the early Pioneers were drawn from the British Isles & Europe then it's very likely that many will have at least one here-I've found two of my tribe -one from Mum's & one from Dad's-one from East Scotland & one from West Scotland who joined the "Trek".
So if you have missing kin it's worth a check.Especially if you find work on the IGI especially Ancestral File & submissions.
Many never saw or heard from their families again so it may be you are unaware of where they went.
My ancestor is very interesting she went aged 16 in 1860 alone as far as I can tell & she married an English widower who then took another wife.All three lived in marital harmony(???) in Idaho until her death in 1916.
Although polgamy was outlawed in Utah in order for it to gain Statehood 1892 & indeed it is grounds for excommunication from the LDS Church it was recognised that already polygamous families should be allowed to maintain the staus quo which seems the fairest thing to me.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

CatrionaL

Utah Pioneers

Post by CatrionaL » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:46 am

Thanks, Joette, for that site. Out of the 17 Livingstons that came up on my pioneer search, 12 are definetely part of our family. Seems to me that it will be well worth while doing a bit of research on the five other names.
Kind regards
Catriona