three mile house Paisley Road

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:04 am

nancy wrote:Hi Linda,you're a treasure. :D Thanks for more info!I went with my daughter today to Braehead,she was taking pc for healthcheck.I thought :idea: i'll browse bookshop as i may just find book there!Then! we noticed closing down sale in sportshop.Next thing we knew it was time to get kids from school :( Never mind,i'll phone tomorrow and enquire about book!In the run up to Christmas :roll: those kind of books,should be on shelves.I quite often get birthday or Christmas pressies of Paisley books.I would think Maryland house is probably Nazareth House now.I'll see what i can find out.Thanks again for all your help! :D Cheers Nancy :)
Hi Nancy,

You can buy this any many other 'Old Glasgow' books in the same format from Bookworld in Braehead and Browns newsagent on the Paisley Road West (across the road from the Argosy pub) has the whole range.

Regards,
Annette M
Last edited by nelmit on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LindaMc

Maryland House

Post by LindaMc » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:28 pm

Hi Nancy

The Sisters of Nazareth arrived in Cardonald in 1902 and were initially based at Maryland House which (when the book was published) was still standing behind the Social Security offices at the corner of Paisley Road West and Corkerhill Road. Nazareth House was opened in 1906.

Regards
Linda
Researching: Barnes, McTaggart, Hamill, Cockburn, Allison,Reid, McCann, Fallens, Crossey, Rogan

nancy

Post by nancy » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:22 am

Hi Wilma, I'll borrow and have a good read,then drop hints for Christmas pressies. :wink: Annette,thanks for pinpointing bookshops,can't recall shop,but know where Argossy pub is :) and Linda,thanks for info on Nazareth House as it seems forever to have been a landmark since i was small,on long journey to and from glasgow :) Thanks to you all for your very helpful info.Cheers Nancy :D

alimac

Re: three mile house Paisley Road

Post by alimac » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:15 am

My great grandparents owned or managed the Halfway House Inn. They were originally from the Islands - Skye and Islay I think.
My Dad has a photograph of that part of PRW showing the Inn. Don't know much more beyond that just now.

John Gorevan

Re: three mile house Paisley Road

Post by John Gorevan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi Alimac, Could you possibly contact me about the Halfway House Inn and your grandfather that once owned it.

Cheers

John Gorevan (www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk) :geek: