tribal pages site and littering

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

lynne smith

tribal pages site and littering

Post by lynne smith » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:30 pm

A couple of days ago I was doing some research on my ggrandfather, Timothy Taylor. (Sidebar- I have a membership with LDS), and I was just looking for the sake of looking. I looked at one of their programs Tribal Pages. Well, I have briefly, very briefly looked into that site previously and decided they deal with USA most, so have just not used them at all. This time I decided to just take a look, because I am suspicious some of gggrandfather Timothy's family immigrated to the US. Well, I could not believe what I saw. A family tree with all of his descendants, a lot named. What a hoot!! I managed to connect with the owner of that family tree site, Just passed this along because it was so fun for me, and there will be more. Maybe someone else will find stuff too!

I don't know who or where to ask this question - My son Kevin passed away suddenly Feb 26 2011. We would like to have some of his ashes spread on his great grandfather's grave located around Aberdeen. If we are lucky we will do that next spring. Does anyone out there know what regulations there would be, or not, and if we can not travel, is there a way to have this done?

My son was 48 years old, and so was his ggrandfather Smith at his death. Both met violent ends, and I feel a compelling need for them to be somewhat together. Kevin slipped on a steep bank that was covered with snow, and under the snow were a bunch of rotten apples. He slipped, receiving head damage, fell unconcious and hyperthermia set in. His ggrandfather was murdered. I just want to say for Kevin, please do not litter anything, anywhere anyhow. This man has two children ages 10 and 8. Why??, In my mind the person who did this killed my son.
Lynne Smith

joette
Global Moderator

Re: tribal pages site and littering

Post by joette » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:10 pm

Lynne it's so exciting when you find a connection *& realise that somebody else in the family tree is looking for & finding your family.
I'm not sure what the regulations are about spreading ashes-my Mum helped her friend spread her husband's ashes on the Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond-I think they just did it but I have a feeling you need some sort of official say so to do so.
It must be so hard to accept Kevin's death & the needlessness of it.I am sure he would be happy to be with his GGGreatGrandfather.More to the point it would give you some measure of peace knowing he was there.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:45 am

Hello Lynne,

The Facing Bereavement web site usually has helpful information about anything to do with funerals and related matters. I can’t see anything there that restricts scattering of ashes. There’s something in the Catholic section that may discourage it. http://www.facingbereavement.co.uk/Cremation.html

If the grave is covered in concrete or something it could complicate things but in most cases it would probably be quite easy to carefully deposit the ashes at or in the old gravesite without any outsiders noticing. Take a small gardening implement, or something similar, along in case it comes in handy.

If you have it done officially by the people who operate the cemetery it’s possible it may be classed as reopening a grave or even as an additional burial. You would probably have to contact the cemetery authorities to find out their policy and what it would cost.

All the best,
Alan

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Helpful site http://www.scattering-ashes.co.uk/where ... gulations/
My sister-in-laws ashes were scattered last year on the farm where she grew up. Her family just asked the farmers permission and he was quite happy to give it.

Regards

Jen

lynne smith

Post by lynne smith » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Thank you Alan and Jen, your information was really helpful. I looks like my wish to scatter some of my son's ashes will not be nearly as complicated as I thought. When out walking with my walking partner the other day, I shared with her my plans and when finished I said to her she must think I am a little off, doing family research and wanting some of Kevin's ashes to be with his great grandfather. She said "not at all, your trying to connect with family, you have always been trying to connect in one way or the other", and she is quite correct.

Again, thank you
lynne