Renfrewshire Family History Society

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

TKirouac

Renfrewshire Family History Society

Post by TKirouac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:13 pm

Are there any members of the Renfrewshire Family History Society out there that could help me? Four months ago (April 2011) I sent a money order along with my order for a copy of the "Renfrewshire Burial and Death Index on CD" and have not heard back from them. I have since emailed the only link I could find for the Society on their web site, but have not received a reply from that either. Does this Society still exist? Does anyone have a suggestion on who I could contact? I'd really appreciate any help or suggestions.
Tracey

Hibee

Re: Renfrewshire Family History Society

Post by Hibee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi Tracey

The organisation listed here will no doubt be aware of the current status of the RFHS, and may have a contact number....

http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/content/contact.aspx

Hibee
www.adams-of-adamsrow.com
Adam(s): Newton, Midlothian
Brock: Orkney/Leith
Bridges: Leith
Sweeney: Ireland/Leith
Brown: Edinburgh/Hamilton

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm

There appears to be some problems with the RFHS. I'm afraid it's not very helpful but you might want to look at the thread on Rootschat under Renfrewshire - I'm useless at putting in links but someone else might be able to do so if you can't find it.

Muriel
Searching Ross - Lochwinnoch & Eaglesham, Renfrewshire; Glasgow; Glover - Paisley; Macadam - Glasgow.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks Lesley.

Muriel
Searching Ross - Lochwinnoch & Eaglesham, Renfrewshire; Glasgow; Glover - Paisley; Macadam - Glasgow.

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Tracey,

The next local family history fair in Scotland is Fife Family History Society at Glenrothes, on 17th September, looking at the web site, Renfrewshire Family History Society supposedly have a stall. I won't be going to this. but maybe someone else on here might be going and could ask them for you?

Anyone thinking of going to the fair?

Cheers
John

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:05 am

If I'd been in Edinburgh I would have gone but I'll be in Bonnie Gallawa' so it's a bit far.

Muriel

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:55 am

Greetings T Kirouac.

I too have had troubles finding a way of making e-contact with the RFHS. When such organizations are manned by Society volunteers, it can take some time to process through back requests.

I prefer dealing with those that send out an e-acknowledgement receipt, and preferably giving some indication of the response times.

I've made some Genealogy Society enquiries from my NZ end, and believe that the RFHS has recently been distracted with some Society governance issues, so hopefully they will soon be back up to speed. Fortunately my simple request does not involve money, just provenance for material they have online.

I also noted the name of the man who, on the RootsChat forum offered to help, before being demoted, and found a fax number he had posted in 2000, in relation to his family tree, but unfortunately that fax number is no longer his. As a first time poster on RootsChat their PM [private message] contact is not operational. [minimum 3 posts]

Link to my post:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15708&hilit=RFHS+logo

Alan SHARP

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Greetings again.

Because in Tracey's case a purchase order including, forwarded money, has not been acknowledged, I've paid researcher DavidW to obtain a current address, for a committee member of the RFHS who offered to help, and forwarded a letter by air mail. Hopefully it will find it's way to the Societies governance team.

Lets hope that the in house problems, that they have experienced, does not include a lack of accountability in their finance department.

Alan SHARP.

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Greetings again from New Zealand.

My letter has been successful, and surface mail has reached the secretary of the RFHS, even it it took many hands to do so.

Tracey I have left a PM message for you, as recieved from the Secretary one J. R. McGREGOR
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
In part QUOTE ---
You will find the address of the Society on our webpage as:-
RENFREWSHIRE FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY,
C/O 51 MATHIE CRESCENT,
GOUROCK,
PA19 1YU
SCOTLAND.

As mail is regularly received from your part of the world, Australia, Canada, U.S.A etc it is hard to understand that people cannot contact us.
End of QUOTE.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan SHARP