free web sites

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

gwennypenny

free web sites

Post by gwennypenny » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:34 pm

is there any free web sites to look up marriages in scotland past the 1011 mark? ancestry .uk doesnt show well and scottish people I have spend over 50 pounds in credits and my husband will kill me (LOL) as it is converted to canada which is more. anyway I am looking for marriage confirmations on one grandparents and also a for sure date of birth on the same man 8)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: free web sites

Post by AndrewP » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi Gwennypenny,

I am guessing you meant 1911 in your question above. Good luck to anyone ever getting a proven family tree leading back over ten centuries. For most people the records get a bit thin on the ground by the eighteenth century.

The only place online that images of the original records from Scotland can be viewed is at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. As you already know, these records are available on a pay per view basis.

Various other places have their indexes to parts of the Scottish records.

The only online one that is free that I can think of is the IGI on the familysearch website. Their indexes are Scottish marriages up to 1875 and Scottish births up to 1874. See viewtopic.php?f=39&t=10332 for more details on this subject.

The only Scottish records that I can think of that you can view for free, not online, are the censuses up to 1891 (1901?) on microfilm which can be found in some libraries, and at the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (the Mormon church) Family History Centres. In the LDS Family History Centres, the microfilms may have to be ordered in for you if that branch does not normally hold them. For the films being brought in for you, there is a fee (I believe not an expensive fee).

Some public libraries have access to Ancestry, where they hold a corporate membership. You would need to ask your local library if they have any such access to Ancestry, for you to use on their computers, and check if it is free, or if they charge a fee for it.

All the best,

AndrewP

gwennypenny

Re: free web sites

Post by gwennypenny » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:36 pm

thank you andrew.

Gwen