Looking for obits and or archives

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Looking for obits and or archives

Post by Dennis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi. I'm looking for obituaries in Glasgow for as far back as they go; also for Leicester, same thing.

Thanks. dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

Currie

Re: Looking for obits and or archives

Post by Currie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Hello Dennis,

If you are looking for 19th Century events it would be best to see if you can access 19th Century British Library Newspapers, for free, from home, via your National, State, or local library, or maybe educational institution. That’s a Gale database and they have the Glasgow Herald from the 1840s to 1900, and also the Leicester Chronicle, possibly for a similar period.

Failing that you could subscribe to the British Newspaper Archive. http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ They have a greater range and coverage of newspapers but it’s not free. Here’s a list of what they have, but for Glasgow and Leicester they appear to have only what is available on the 19C BL site and nothing for the 20th Century. http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.u ... apertitles

Glasgow people are pretty fortunate because Google has digitised the Glasgow Herald from the very early days all the way up to about 1990. Some of the copies, especially the earlier ones, are pretty rough and low resolution, and because of that the search doesn’t work very well. But, if you know the date of an event, you can check for a week or so afterwards to see if there is anything there. There’s also Glasgow’s Evening Times newspaper from 1951 to 1990.

As far as I know Google hasn’t digitize any English newspapers, including Leicester. If you are able to supply a date to a Leicester library, which would possibly have microfilm copies, maybe some kind soul there would do a lookup.

Glasgow Herald here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=G ... de=2&hl=en

Evening Times here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... de=2&hl=en

See how you go with those.

All the best,
Alan

Brigitte54

Post by Brigitte54 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:05 am

Hello

Can you tell me where I might be able to find the death notices or obituaries for family members who lived and died in Aberdeen (Old Machar/Meldrum areas). The deaths occured in the late 1970's and I am not familiar with newspapers of the time or place. Also would a subscription be required to view the likes of 'family notices'?

I have two spinster sisters buried in a family plot (I assume because there is no mention of a husband) that I would search for these ladies under their parents surname even though it is just their forename and middle name given on the inscription.

Thanks in advance :D
Brigitte

StewL

Post by StewL » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:43 am

Hello Brigitte
[TS_welcome]
I hope someone will come along soon and lead you in the right direction, although the dates you mention are too recent to be mentioned on TS.
You may have to visit personally or ask someone to look on your behalf.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

rossm

Post by rossm » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi Brigitte,

The two local daily papers for Aberdeenshire are the Press and Journal and the Evening Express. I'm not sure you'll find an online resource for anything as recent as the 1970s though. The British Newspaper Archive has records for both these titles, but only up until 1954.

Your best bet might be to contact Aberdeen Central Library to find out what they hold, but ultimately this may come down to you finding someone willing to do the research on your behalf if you're too far away to visit the library in person.

You never know though, someone might come long and offer better advice...

Ross

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:10 am

Aberdeen Central Library has been helpful to me in the past, sending copies of newspaper articles, etc. I would definitely contact them and see what is possible.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Brigitte54

Post by Brigitte54 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:21 am

Thank you Stewie, Ross and Sarah, now at least I know which papers to look for and the library, I would not have had a clue otherwise. I am in New Zealand so visiting it in person is out of the question hehe.

Regards
Brigitte