Family History Societies

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

clancam

Family History Societies

Post by clancam » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:04 am

Is it worthwhile joining FH Societies to search for ancestors?
My ancestors were in Fifeshire (Dysart area) in the 1700s and early 1800s moving to Perthshire(Meigle,Blairgowrie areas) about 1820.
Interested to know if others had success with membership.
Kind regards
clancam

smiddykilry

Re: Family History Societies

Post by smiddykilry » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi
Check out the link below, I had lots of help from the people at the center and they have lots of records for the area you are interested in.

Smid

http://www.tayvalleyfhs.org.uk/
Dunn, Rough, Smith, Bruce, Paterson, Paton. Wylie,
Stewart, Reid, Gardiner, Rollo, Turner, Dutch, Laing, Forsyth, Robb, Hardie.
Kennedy, Kandow, Winter, Vollum, Hastie.

jgmills

Re: Family History Societies

Post by jgmills » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:54 am

Hi,

I would always recommend joining a society, much like this forum, they are always very helpful, well the ones I have used have been. But the biggest benefit, if you are able to visit regularly as in your case TayvalleyFHS or Scottish Genealogy Society in Edinburgh, covers the whole of Scotland, are the resources they will hold, OPR films on microfilm can be so much more valuable than looking at a transcribed list of records, often you will find a well stocked research centre with lots records, books and other information of local interest.

You get magazines maybe other newsletters, with local interest, and even if you are far away and unable to attend, you can get someone to carry out simple research to help you breakdown brick walls and get you moving again ( for a small cost).

Yes, I'd recommend joining.
John

(p.s. I'm expecting a cheque in the post from Scottish Association of Family History Societies :lol: )