Search for ancestors - Barry Campbell

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

clancam

Search for ancestors - Barry Campbell

Post by clancam » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:27 am

I've been searching for my ancestors for over 12 years.
My 2XGGF, Duncan Campbell, Stone Mason born Dysart Fife abt 1790 died 1861 at Rattray, Perthshire. I have his death certificate and his Will purchased from Scotlands Peoples.
His parents were John Campbell and Catherine Horn, both of Fife. Duncan married Elizabeth Baxter at Meigle perthshire and had five children.
John born 1826 at Longleys, occ: Ship's captain, Catherine born 1828 (probably in Ireland) -- Married a William Robertson in Midlothian, Mary born Blairgowrie 1831 (married a Charles TYRIE),
Jane born 1836, and Ellen (Hellen) born 1838.
John Campbell, my GGF, Ship's captain married Mary Ann Louisa Usher in Liverpool 1864. His sister Hellen was a marriage witness. His place and date of death have eluded me. The magazine "Who Do You Think You Are" February 2014 has a one page (page 41) article on him, which is very much appreciated.
I am trying to find where and when my GGF, John Campbell died. Also what happened to his siblings. I think Mary and Charles Tyrie's descendants may have come to Australia and some of them took the surname Baxter-Tyrie.
My GGM Mary Ann Louisa Campbell nee Usher came to Australia in 1875 with her 2 children John Duncan Campbell and Elizabeth Baxter Campbell plus her own mother Tryphena Usher nee Rickards.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may be able to help me. There may be Robertson, Tyrie, Baxter-Tyrie, Usher,Rickards and Horn families who may be able to assist.

trish1

Re: Search for ancestors - Barry Campbell

Post by trish1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:07 am

The 1841 census on Freecen http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

1841 Ash Blank, Blairgowrie Perth
CAMPBELL Duncan M 40 Mason N
BAXTER Elizabath F 39 Y
Campbell Cathrine F 14 Y
Campbell Jean F 5 Y
Campbell Hellen F 3 Y

shows the family in Perth & as stated daughter Catherine was born in Perthshire. Mary is not with the family so presumably in service very young? or living with other relatives

clancam

Re: Search for ancestors - Barry Campbell

Post by clancam » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:30 am

Hi Trish1,
Thankyou very much for your reply. It's great to find so many helpful people on sites such as this.
Mary was with her maternal grandparents (Baxter's).
John Campbell was at sea by 1841 and difficult to find on Census' until 1871 in Liverpool England with his family.
Thanks again for your interest and hope to hear from other readers.
Kind regards
clancam