Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

patrickw55

Illustrated First World War

Post by patrickw55 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:40 am

57+169+4996+3339.jpg
57+169+4996+3339.jpg (140.99 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Hello everyone

I wanted to post today to let you all know about the WW1 centenary project I and my colleagues have recently launched.

http://www.illustratedfirstworldwar.com has made the entire Illustrated London News 1914-1919 archives completely free for people to access. For those of you who don't know, Illustrated London News was a very popular publication through the 19th and most of the 20th centuries and was the first newspaper to include pictures in its reporting.

Of course as a periodical, The Illustrated London News frequently reported on the activities of the brave scots that laid down their lives in the First World War [example pictured]. You can either search for individuals or entire regiments using the "search the archives" bar on our website.

ATM our website gives full access to the 1914-1919 Illustrated London News but we will soon be including the 1914-1919 editions of our other prominent WW1 publications including The Sphere, the Graphic, The Tatler, The Bystander, The Sketch, The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News and The Illustrated War News (published specifically to report on WW1)

We also have a timeline, topic, titles and artists sections with material curated by myself and the heritage team. We also have a great blog filled with great WW1 facts and centenary news.
So if you’re interested in seeing some of the greatest imagery to be produced in the First World War visit http://www.illustratedfirstworldwar.com and check out our contribution to WW1 heritage.

Russell

Re: Illustrated First World War

Post by Russell » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:57 pm

Hello Patrick and a warm welcome to [talkingscot]
What a resource to offer the world =D> =D> We are more accustomed here to repairing brick walls and appreciate news of an entirely different sort. Many of our members like to flesh out the bare records of an ancestors life and perhaps death. Your easily negotiated site will give them hours of exploration and information. The wonderful Web has just had a massive addition. Thank-you.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny