Anyone tracing the Thomson Families?

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

Scotirish

Anyone tracing the Thomson Families?

Post by Scotirish » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:11 am

I am not certain how to benefit from this site. I am a descendant of David Thomson, Sr and Anges Bryden Thomson of Ayr, Scotland. They were married about 1826 in Scotland and to them were born the following six children: William, David, Jr., John, Jane, James Benjamin (my great grandfather) and Elizabeth Agnes. William, David, Jr., and John came to the U. S. A. from Ayr, Scotland in 1853, landing in New York. They came to Illinois between 1853 and 1862. In 1866, David Thomson, Sr. and his wife Anges (Bryden) Thomson came to the U.S.A., along with their daughters, Jane Thomson and Elizabeth Agnes Thomson, and their son James Benjamin Thomson and his wife Ellen Carr Thomson. They came to Waltham Township, LaSalle County, Illinois to be near their son and brother, John Thomson (My name is also John Charles Thomson

StewL

Re: Anyone tracing the Thomson Families?

Post by StewL » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:19 am

Hello Scotirish
[TS_welcome]
Your joining Talking Scot is most welcome by all
The members of this forum are very experienced in researching out Scottish Ancestry and a bit of Irish too :lol:
The information you have is a good start, you can use Family Search as a preliminary guide, remembering that some of Family Search can be a bit of wishful thinking. Scotlands People website is a pay per view site, but not that expensive in comparison to some others, plus if the records are there, they are accurate as can be. You could start with the 1841 Census and the 1851 Census before your lot emigrated.
Anyway all the best
[cheers]
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson