QLD BDM Index on Line .....

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

Hugh Stevely

QLD BDM Index on Line .....

Post by Hugh Stevely » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:33 am

Not sure how many have seen this yet- Historical index Search you can now search for the years 1829 to 1914.

Hugh.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Hugh

Thought I would add the link

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/bdm/IndexSearch.htm

On my computer it only shows as a small display to the RHS of the screen - a bit weird - but the search seems to work. (Could be my computer - it is not at all friendly).

Qld had its first European settlement 1829 - hence the start date.

Trish

Hugh Stevely

QLD BDM Index on Line.

Post by Hugh Stevely » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:57 pm

Hi Trish ok on the link i did not put it on as it was a bit slow early hrs to day- ok now found a family tree member the search seems to work.

Regards Hugh.

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi all - link certainly does work. I've found loads of bmds on Reids from the Lothians who settled in Queensland. Thanks for this.

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:26 am

Yes it's a great site, though the cost of ordering certs seems a bit pricey. I found my 4xgreat aunt on there, and learned a few new things about her just from the index listing alone, so worth a visit.

Chris
Tha an lasair nad anam aig meadhan do bhith
Nas làidir 's nas motha na riaghaltas no rìgh.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:04 am

Hi Chris

All Australian certificates are very overpriced BUT most (including Qld) contain very useful information - much the same as 1855 Scotland certificates. If you have faith in an informant (which can often be gaged by the parent names on an index) a death certificate can give loads of information on parents, children, marriage and burial. The SAG site gives details of what is on each certificate

http://www.sag.org.au/index.php?option= ... view&id=78

Trish

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:26 pm

Cheers Trish,

I've had a look though and the links on the page you have pointed to seem to be broken - can you tell me what would be found on a death cert?

Thanks

Chris

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:16 am

SAG has a new website & the info doesn't show properly if you use some versions of IE - I reported it to the web master & he told me to try firefox!!
for various other reasons I started using firefox, so forgot about the problem - sorry!

Civil registrations

(i.e. from 1 March 1856) usually contain the following information:

* Deceased's name
* Date & place of death
* Sex, name & occupation
* Cause of death & length of illness
* Medical attendant's name & when last saw deceased alive
* Father's name & occupation
* Mother's maiden name
* Informant's name & relationship - the latter can indicate the extent to which the information may be relied on
* Deceased's children (separately for each marriage, if more than one):
those alive sometimes listed by name & age; otherwise just the number of males and females
those dead usually showing just the number of males and females
* Date & place of burial or cremation
* Undertaker's name
* Minister's name & religion
* Birthplace and length of time in Qld (if born elsewhere) - helps to find immigration, Will often list time in each Aust state
* Marriage place, age at marriage & spouse's name
* Date & place of registration

Trish

Looking at the above - it had a couple of errors I corrected & I think, in fact is the NSW information - not Qld. Qld only separated from NSW in 1859. NSW registration started in 1856. Thus said, to the best of my knowledge, the information is much the same in NSW Vic and Qld, so it is very close to correct - remembering it is dependant on the informant

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:34 pm

Wow Trish, and I thought the details on the Scottish certs were good!

I'm definitely going to order up my rellie's cert now. She was called Helen Paton, and there is a street named after her at Kangaroo Point in Brisbane (Paton Street) and one after her hubby, David Bell (Bell Street). They sailed for Brisbane on board the Chaseley in May 1849, and when they arrived established a store there, and they seem to have done well. Her hubby died May 22nd 1891, whilst Helen died earlier on Main Street on Aug 15th 1883 (she's listed as Ellen Paton on the QLD index).

Would there be any census records for this period in Brisbane, and what would be the best archive to try and find more about the? Also, would you have any idea what the local newspapers might have been at the time? I'm actually going to Oz in about two months time, but sadly couldn't budget a trip to Brisbane within that, so I'm gonna have to do it the old fashioned way!!

Chris :)

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:11 am

We do have good certificates :D but need them because the government destroyed all the census information post 1840 - so there is no census data to be found.

My husband's family arrived onboard the Chasely!! They were recruited and promised land by John Dunmore Lang, which they never received. I have an amount of information about the good Reverend (who was revered & loved by all the immigrants, regardless of his actions). Many streets in Brisbane are named after him. One of our slightly distant relatives named their farm Lang Farm.

There were 3 ships brought to Moreton by Lang - the Fortitude, Chasely and Lima. The settlement was extremely small (mainly convicts) at that time & the immigrants were not wanted & treated badly on their arrival. A large part of Toowong (inner suburb) has streets named after the man and the ships. Fortitude Valley, near the city, was where they pitched their tents!

There is a very well known Bell family that eventually settled west of Brisbane, I am not sure if this would be part of your family. There is a very large memorial in the Toowong Cemetery - I think. I am not Qld born - but my husbands family have moved about 20 km since 1849 :D so know lots about the early times.

I have some documentation/newspaper items - I will send you a pm with my email if you would like more information

Trish