UK Electoral Roll

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

JustJean

UK Electoral Roll

Post by JustJean » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:09 pm

I'd be curious to hear if anyone has any experience with this website below...ie...is UK limited to England or is that an inclusive term :?:

http://www.onlinesearches.info/

Best wishes
Jean

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:26 pm

In this case "UK" means at least England, Scotland and Wales, but Ah ain't sure if N Ireland is included.............

David

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:59 am

Thanks for that! :D Now the leading question is....how complete is the database :?: :? :-k

Best wishes
Jean

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:11 am

It all looks very vague to me, both as to what geographical areas are covered and what sections of their database you can access for your money, maybe intentionally so.

The pricing setup appears unusual, they are actually asking you to pay more for advanced searching, and most unreasonable for BM&D compared to say Ancestry UK, where you can get access to what is probably the same BM&D info plus infinitely more for much the same price.

I wouldn’t go anywhere near a site that appears to have cropped up out of the blue, certainly not with a credit card, unless there was some way of verifying their bone fides and value for money.

If current electoral roll info is being made available to organisations such as “onlinesearches” you would imagine there would be some sort of reference to such on the website of the Government Authority responsible for such data whatever that may be. If such info is to be made available online it beats me why that Authority doesn’t just put it there.

The site appears to be geared towards finding the living rather than ancestors etc. and any useful genealogical information, on the face of it, could probably be obtained much more cheaply elsewhere.

It would probably be a good idea if they redesigned their site to show exactly what people can expect for their money.

Alan

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:12 am

Hi Alan,

I agree, I would want to know what I'm getting for my money before giving my credit card details to any organization.

Ina

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:37 am

Hello Ina,

Just a quick link to info re UK Electoral Roll access.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/y ... access.cfm

Alan

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 am

Hi Alan,

Interesting site.

A lot of interesting publications available. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ina

IanS

Post by IanS » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:06 am

Re - onlinesearches-nobody think to look at contact details?

Scroll to the bottom of the page . click on contact details, note the address of
Suite 3
95 Wilton Rd. etc.

Do a yahoo search on address and you get this page.

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1257/5083.php

I don't think it's advisable to send any money :roll: Suite 3 my ar*e!

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:21 am

Currie and Ian,

Good bit of advice there I think.

Ian,

That google search was inspired.

I had a look at their "Contact Us" page and not only are they using maildrop facilities, they also only have voicemail phone contact which would be "responded to in 24 hours"!

All sounds very iffy to me.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:38 am

Good find Ian.

Looks as though 95 Wilton Rd is the nerve centre or the shopfront or whatever of hundreds of businesses, not just onlinesearches.

It must be mighty crowded in there. (Unless it's a historically important facade tacked onto the front of a mega floor office block).

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Alan