New York Times Archive (free) / question re New York BMD

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

grannysrock

New York Times Archive (free) / question re New York BMD

Post by grannysrock » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:01 pm

Hi apologies if this has been mentioned before , but the Naw York Times Archives have been made free to view ( up to 1922 ? ) .

http://www.nytimes.com/

Now I am not American, but I did find something last night that got me rather excited.

Anyway trubble is , I need to find out deceased's father's parents to make certain of my connection to him and his ancestors . His father's name was Malcolm MacGregor , he was a distiller and was born about 1797-1798 , and must have died between 1870 and 1880 . I have in NY on the 1850, 60 and 70 censuses . From the ages of his children , he must have been there by 1827 . Now I have a MM born n 1797 who sailed to NY in 1817 ...

I did not find an obituary for the father , and when I tried to find about NY death certs , I could only find a site for 1881 onwards - can anyone suggest how I might find out his parent's names for certain ?

Sally

LesleyB

Re: New York Times Archive (free) / question re New York BMD

Post by LesleyB » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:03 am

Hi Sally

I don't know about NY death certs, but someone is sure to, so maybe by bringing this round again you will be offered some advice by a member who does know.

Best wishes
Lesley

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks Lesley
I have since got a death certificate for this guy - however it didn't provide me with enough info to prove one way or another if he is my relative. A couple of family trees out there on the net are suggesting he isn't , so the search continues...

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Is there a way to just search the archives for a death rather than just put a name in the search box at the top and trail through 10,000 + results ?
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Tracey
At a certain time period the Deaths seem to have been reported under the headline "DIED" .
You can get straight to the archives search at http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?srchst=p#top
and then in if you select "advanced search" page you can put "DIED" or possibly "OBITUARY" in the headline
and the surname in the "Your Search" as well as a date from and to.

Hope this cuts down the results a bit.

Sally

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi Tracey,
Sally's right. In 19th century U.S. newspapers I have usually found deaths under the heading DIED or DEAD. More rarely DEATHS and almost never OBITUARY until more recently.

Cheers,
Sarah