Daniel and William Stewart born Cullen Banffshire c. 1844

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

doddie

Daniel and William Stewart born Cullen Banffshire c. 1844

Post by doddie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:34 pm

I will try and make this as concise as possible. I think that either/both Daniel and William Stewart may have emigrated to Canada either together or separately. Both men were born in Cullen, Banffshire. Daniel in 1843 and William in 1845. Parents: Alexander Stewart and Elspet(h) Stewart (m.n. Grant). Later they both moved to the Midlothian area, staying with and older brother John and his family. William appears in the 1871 census for Loanhead and Daniel in the 1881 census for the same area. After both entries respectively there is no further trace of the brothers that I can find. I have been informed indirectly that the children of another brother, George Stewart (born 1840) did emigrate to Canada and I have a feeling that Daniel and William may have gone out there too. I can provide more background detail if required. I am hoping someone out there may know something or be able to put me on the right track. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Doddie

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Re: Daniel and William Stewart born Cullen Banffshire c. 1844

Post by Liz Turner » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi Doddie

Have you made any progress with this search?

We gathered together a lot of links to "seafaring" subjects on TS and that might give you an idea of some sites to check out, particularly for emigration.

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3510

Liz
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

doddie

Post by doddie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi Liz, thank you for getting in touch. The answer to your question is 'no'. I have looked up some canadian census forms and found a few mentions of Daniel/William Stewarts but with no concrete proof that they are 'my' Daniel & William. Thank you for forwarding the links to me. I will certainly check them out when I have more time. A few months back I received a very positive lead from someone via the Rootschat website that they had come across somone in Canada who was related to George Stewart (Daniel & William's elder brother) through his children. I replied to the lead saying I was very interested in this information and would like to make further direct contact but have heard nothing further. C'est la vie! I will keep you posted with any progress.

Regards

Doddie

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Don't give up Doddie I too was searching for Canadian rellies(a few twigs from different branches).
I found my connection via the family they had married into & then was able to join us all up.These twigs were living close to another in BC although both branches had lived in Saskatwechan for three generations. No idea they they were related & looking for each others origins.It took several years & many long pauses.My second cousin in Scotland had also been searching & was delighted that I had finally got lucky.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

doddie

Re: Daniel and William Stewart born Cullen Banffshire c. 184

Post by doddie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Progress at last. Have not been able to discover anything new about Daniel but have managed to fill in William's story. To cut a long (and drawn-out) story short it turns out that at some point during the 1870s William moved to the north of England. He was a schoolteacher firstly at Ravenswing College in the village of Mellor (just outside Blackburn) and then at Mintholme College near Brindle. In 1877 he married Jessie Watson Pringle. They had three children: Edith Annie, William Charles and George Henry. In 1886, while he was principal of Mintholme College, William died from Tuberculosis. Two years later Jessie and the children sailed to the U.S. Seemingly Jessie died in Florida in 1938. At last, one of my numerous brick walls has been dealt with.

Doddie
Last edited by doddie on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Hello Doddie,
Glad you have made some progress, but what a sad story. :( So many died of TB in that century. Have you seen that Daniel was in the 1871 census in Cockpen with wife Jane and that she died, also of TB in 1878? Her maiden surname was Thompson. They were married in Lasswade district in 1869. That doesn't tell you the end of his life, but at least fills in some gaps if you didn't already know this.

All the best,
Sarah

Donkey

Post by Donkey » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Can I ask how you became interested in William Stewart? He is my great great grandfather. His daughter Edith lived to over 100 years old in the Tampa Florida area and I remember her fondly.

I am not having success yet moving deeper into history from him but I am new and just starting out.

doddie

Post by doddie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi Donkey, good of you to get in touch. My great, great grandfather was John Stewart (1836 -1907), a stonemason. He was a brother of William and Daniel. They also had siblings Elspet, Alexander, George and James (names not in birth order I'm afraid as I don't have my records with me just now). All were born in Cullen, Banffshire in the north of Scotland. Their parents were Alexander and Elspet Stewart (maiden name Grant). Over the years the surname has changed between Stewart and Stuart. Daniel is the only sibling that I have been unable to trace a death for. I have done quite a lot of research on my Stewart line and have quite a detailed history of the Stewart family from the Cullen period onwards. As you have just started I wouldn't want to overload you with too much information but would of course be more than happy to help out a fellow Stewart relative. Let me know your questions.

Regards

Doddie

Donkey

Post by Donkey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:24 am

Hi Doddie!
I found on ScotlandsPeople website the wedding record for Alexander Stewart and Elspet Grant Stewart. On Ancestry and Genealogy websites I found that her parents are Elspet Hay Grant and John Grant. Elspet Hays place of birth was listed as Dalcherich, Scotland. That sums up the total of what we know. Had the Stewart family always lived in Cullen or had they come from somewhere else?
Last edited by Donkey on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donkey

Post by Donkey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:40 am

I just noodled* around on the internet and ScotlandsPeople for a couple of hours. i was able to get a variety of census, marriagae and birth records for: Elspet Hay, Alexander Stewart, John Grant, and William Stewart. I am feeling this may shape up.

I don't find the family after the 1851 census but I didn't search all of Scotland for them! Did all the family move away or just a few?

William Stewart's widow, Jessie (Janet) Pringle from Duns, moved the family to Florida in order to be near one of her sisters, Elizabeth Pringle Pixton. Jessie never remarried and was always referred to as "Little Grandma." One of the children, George had passed away a couple of months before his father did. Edith and Charlie survived and had large families. Charlie's family is based in the Naples Florida area. Edith's family is in the greater Tampa area. I remember being told as a child by my grandmother that "Granny" (Edith) was from Great Britain and that is why she has hot tea when everyone else is drinking iced tea . It seemed to be very important that I understand this. I was suitably impressed. I believe Jessie Stewart died in 1938 but I would need to check. Edith died just a month before her 102 birthday, Nov 5, 1983. She had married into a large Scot-Irish family, McConnell, that has roots in the US back to before the Revolutionary War.

*An American expression for sticking your hands into holes along the muddy banks of a lake or river in an attempt to find a fish. The internet is the ultimate in this type of fishing expedition.