Daniel and William Stewart born Cullen Banffshire c. 1844

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

doddie

Re: Daniel and William Stewart born Cullen Banffshire c. 184

Post by doddie » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:09 am

At various times after 1851 the Stewart children moved about. Elspet, George and Alexander still remained in the north of Scotland but in districts outside Banffshire itself. Just after 1871 James moved with his family to the USA and he died in New York in about 1911. John moved to Loanhead, just outside Edinburgh and then moved into the centre of Edinburgh itself. He died there in 1907. William you will know about obviously. Daniel is the only mystery. After his appearance in the 1881 census for Scotland there is absolutely nothing. I have checked out later census records and death records for Scotland without any luck. No luck for England either. I have checked the immigration records on Ancestry and although there are quite a few instances of 'Daniel Stewart' or 'Stuart' (and just 'D. Stewart' etc.) there is just not sufficient detail to establish if any of them is actually 'our' Daniel. I am convinced he did immigrate. As an earlier post from Sarah states, Daniel married (just outside Edinburgh) in 1869, but sadly no children were to follow. Unfortunately Jane died in 1878. Perhaps Daniel decided, after a short period, to start life afresh in another country. Just as a point of interest, Daniel's wife Jane Thompson was the sister of Margaret Thompson who was the wife of John Stewart. My only vague hope now is that somebody who has direct knowledge of Daniel's life after 1881 comes across some of my posts that I have left on various forums. I do not think now that I am going to discover anything new about Daniel in any actual official records.

With regard to the Stewart family roots, I think Elspet Grant's family were local to the Banffshire area but Alexander Stewart's roots seem a bit vaguer and contradictory. On Alexander's death certificate, c. 1881, it states that his parents were Alexander Stewart and Ann McLae. The only married couple I have ever come across with these names (who also happened to have a son Alexander) were living in Barony, Glasgow in the early 1800s. I have no evidence that this couple ever moved to the north of Scotland. Furthermore, all census records relating to Alexander Stewart Jnr. indicate that he was born c.1805 in the Urquhart area near Loch Ness.

Hope this information is helpful. Yet again I have been putting this down from memory. I meant to bring my actual paperwork with me this morning but forgot, sorry.

Regards

Doddie

doddie

Post by doddie » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:25 am

List of Stewart siblings

Elspet (or sometimes Elcie) Stewart, born June 1833
Alexander Stewart, born April 1835
John Stewart, born December 1836
George Stewart, born November 1838
James Duncan Stewart, born July 1841. The only time the middle name Duncan appears is in the relevant parish birth record.
Daniel Stewart, born September 1843
William Stewart, born November 1845

Some time between the very end of 1845 and before November 1850 their mother Elspet died. Alexander was married for a second time in November 1850 to a Mary McLeod.

Regards

Doddie
Last edited by doddie on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Donkey

Post by Donkey » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:05 pm

Thanks for all the good information. I have printed it out to save.

You have such a trove of information. How long have you been working on this?

Donkey

Post by Donkey » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:48 pm

What I have from Scotland People website are:
Elspet Grant's birth in Inveravon in 06/01/1801 (I am assuming January 1) L.D. to John Grant and Espet (perhaps and error for Elspet?)Hay in Avonan (couldn't quite read the writing but the website says Inveravon) was baptized and then more I cannot be certain of transcribing correctly. OPR births 157/00 0010 0481 Inveravon.

Elspet Hay marries John Grant both of this parish being matrimonial by contracts and blurry something proclaimed were married Sept 9 1777 here
OPR marriages 157/00 0010 0408 Inveravon

Feeling iffier of these being the correct ones:

birth of John Grant: John son to Alexander Grant and Marjory Smith his spouse in Ivoun was baptized Oct 6 1748
OPRbirths 157/00 0010 0274 Inveravon

Elspet Hay birth: Elspet lawful daughter to Peter Hay & Jean Grant Delihegrailawas (that can't be correctly read by me) baptised 25 of March 1759 and two names of witnesses. OPR births 157/00 0010 0206 Inveravon

Peter Hay birth: Peter Hay L.S. to James Hay and Janet Sollarm Arhmade (best I can make out) was baptized Peter Hay. then the names of the witnesses. OPR births 128/0A 0010 0111 BOHARM

Google maps tells me that Boharm is still in that general area. Have I gone completely off course?

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:29 am

Hi Donkey,

See below my interpretation of some of the documents that you have quoted from:

+ + + + + + + + + + +

Janry 6th 1801

Elspet Grant L.D. to John Grant & Espet Hay in Ayonan was baptized.
Witnesses Wm Christie, Haughs of Kelmechlie & Rev. William Spence.

Kilnmaichlie can be found on the 1881 OS map
See http://maps.nls.uk/view/74490590
Go to the bottom of the map and find 3°22'
Kilnmaichlie is just west of the river (beside the "v" in Avon [River Avon])

Ayeon can be seen on that map, NNW of Kilnmaichlie, close to the railway station.

+ + + + + + + + + + +

John Grant & Elspet Hay both in this Parish being matrimonially contracted
and regularly proclaimed were married Septr 9th 1777 years.

+ + + + + + + + + + +

Delihegrailawas = Dalchurach was

"Dalchirach" can be found on the 1881 OS map.
Go to the bottom of the map and find 3°21'
Dalchirach is on the east side of the river just south of the county boundary at Mill of Tommore.

+ + + + + + + + + + +

Boharm is a couple of parishes north-ish of Inveravon, so not far away. Arhmade, I think is Achmadies.
"Auchmadies" can be seen on the 1881 OS map.
Go to the top of the map and find 3°7' and go south until you see the parish name BOHARM.
Keep going south from the "O" in BOHARM and you should find Auchmadies.

+ + + + + + + + + + +

All the best,

AndrewP

doddie

Post by doddie » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:21 am

Hi again Donkey,

I knew something had been nagging my brain. I came across the Elspet Grant born to John Grant and Elspet Hay quite a while back when first researching my Stewart line. It turns out that she married a John Gordon in 1822. She also appears in the 1851 census living with John and her family in the parish of Rothiemay, Banffshire, so that rules her out as being 'our' Elspet Grant. The problem is, I discovered, that there were a good few Elspet Grants born in the general Banffshire area (and just beyond) in the early 1800's. I have never been able to establish for certain the correct birth or parentage of the Elspet who was the mother of our mutual ancestors. The only vague idea I have - based purely and unscientifically on the traditional Scottish naming pattern - is that Elspet's parents were indeed a John Grant and an Elspet (maiden name unknown).

Regards

Doddie
Last edited by doddie on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donkey

Post by Donkey » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you Doddie and AndrewP! You have pulled me out of a mess.

I was thinking about throwing away all my document printouts, but I think the better thing to do is take them and staple this information to them. I'd hate for one of my kids or nieces to make the same mistakes.

Best wishes to everyone for the new year.

doddie

Post by doddie » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi Donkey, I know this is a long shot, but do you happen to have a photograph of your great great grandfather William Stewart. I am hoping by some point in the future to have obtained photographs of all the Stewart siblings - a rather over optimistic hope, I admit, but God loves a trier.

Regards

Doddie

Donkey

Post by Donkey » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:38 pm

Yes, I do and my cousin scanned it! I will send you a private message with my email.