Death help please Bertha Kramer nee Law

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Cathy

Death help please Bertha Kramer nee Law

Post by Cathy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi All. Its been a while, so hope you all had a Merry Christmas & looking forward to a Happy New Year.
I'm getting back on the trail of my missing Law family, & have a census copy 1940 New York for Bertha Kramer, Widow, age ?51
Can anyone help me find her death or marriage to Walter Kramer ? I have them on board a ship from Southampton to New York in 1921. He is age 37 & she is 34.
Cathy

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Death help please Bertha Kramer nee Law

Post by SarahND » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Hello Cathy,

Here are a number of things I am just going to throw at you, since I don't have time to think them through :) Sorry for the chaos :lol:

I don't think the 1940 census you found is the same person as on the passenger list.

On the ship's list Walter J Kramer says he was born in San Bernardino, CA and that they are going home to live in Huntington Park, Los Angeles, CA. Her birthplace is blank, but it says she is a naturalized citizen by marriage.

Back to 1920, the were indeed living in Huntington Park, as on the ship's list. She says she immigrated in 1904 and was born in England. Walter is a butcher in a slaughter house, born in California
They have two daughters Lida, age 14, born in California and Dorothy, age 12, born in New York

In 1930 he and Sarah B (Bertha?) are living in Merced county, California. He is 46, a superintendent at a meat packing house CA NY WI
She is 41 ENG ENG ENG
They say they married when he was 21 and she was 16.

In 1940 they are in San Antonio, Los Angeles county, California
Walter J Kramer is 55, a Butcher in a wholesale packing house
Sara B is 53, born in England
Dorothy, age 31, daughter, born in New York is with them. She is a Musician for Motion Pictures

In the 1953 directory for Monrovia, California, she is a widow
According to the California Death Index he died 31 July 1949 in Los Angeles County

Can she be the one born 1 Mar 1881, died 4 Jun 1967 in San Diego county, mother's maiden name Gilbert? According to your other posts, she should have been born in China-- correct? But 1881 should be the correct year of birth (no matter what she said for the censuses). Does Mother's maiden name Gilbert sound right for your family?

I don't think they were really married when they said they were. In 1910, Walter is a Butcher at a slaughter house in Los Angeles, so clearly the same man, but married to Josie N, who was born in Illinois. Daughter Lydia is also with them, age 4. They have been married 6 years and poor Josie has had 3 children, of whom only one survives. Where is little Dorothy? Hmmm. Is she with Bertha/Sara and is her child, not Josie's?

They spent 2 + months in England in 1921 and were staying at 29 Holmwood, Brixton Hill, London. Ring any bells?
They went back for another visit in 1925

He is already married to Sara/Bertha by 12 Sep 1918 when he fills out his draft card.

Are we on the track of the wrong person?

Best wishes,
Sarah

Cathy

Re: Death help please Bertha Kramer nee Law

Post by Cathy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi Sarah.
Thanks for reply. I've just found it. My Law family are a real mystery. I have Bertha & her siblings all born in Canton China. (Herbert 1879, Bertha 1881, Jessie 1884, Ernest 1885). This is from 1891 census Lucton School, Henfield, Sussex. Looked like a private boarding school. There are no records that I know of.
1901 census they are "wards" living in Peak Hill, London. Bertha, 20, Jessie 17, Ernest 16. Herbert is in Scotland.
I had just found the ship information, but haven't had the time to work things out yet. I have no parent names for these siblings, although on Herbert's MC his father is listed as Herbert, mother Margaret Symington. I have spent a lot of time trying to prove this, but I can't.
I'd love to crack this case. All the questions that need answers. Why were they at a boarding school for instance ? Why can't I find the parents .
The father was said to be a tea-planter. Can't find anything on this either. Basically, I just can't move forward (or is it backwards ) on this family. My biggest brick wall since I started researching. But I'm grateful to you for taking the time on this. It gives me something to look into for now.
Cathy