Brick Wall

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Brick Wall

Post by marilyn morning » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:19 pm

It was bound to happen sooner or later, but I ran into my first brick wall. My paternal grandparents were from the Azores and married in the United States. They passed away before I was born, but I was fortunate enough to know the islands they were from. Because I don't speak the language, I hired a professional genealogist from Portugal and he didn't get past my great grandfather, who was adopted :-( Joao recommended that I do a DNA test, but I respectfully declined to protect the privacy of my extended family. I feel so disappointed, but at the same time thrilled that I at least know part of my family history. Sometimes we just have to accept and respect the privacy of our long lost. What was very exciting was all the information to be found on the birth registrations of the Azores. On one cert it lists my grandmother, my great grandparents and great grandparents. Also who her godparents were and their occupations, housewife and highway manager.

My paternal grandfather will be next to research, but I'm not very optimistic, because all I have is his name and middle initial, his brother's name and the island they were born on. I've been waiting for his immigration papers from Home Land Security here in the US for over 14 years. The search will continue.....

Have a wonderful holiday
Marilyn

speleobat2

Re: Brick Wall

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi Marilyn,

Can't help you with the Azores, but Ancestry keeps adding records and way back when you were looking for a date of death for David Morning. The New Jersey Deaths and Burial records are up on Ancestry and there is a David Morning listed who fits your info I think. Do you still need his date of death? Let me know and I'll send it along.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:11 am

Hello Carol,

Oh I wasn't expecting any help along with my family from the Azores :-) Just sharing my experience researching family history in a different language, which is why I saved this side for last.

Yes, I would love any information on David Morning that you found. He was more of a dead end then a brick wall, thank goodness. What was his death date? You may want to send me that information privately?

By the way, I can't access "Find A Grave" can you send me that picture of the gravestone of Alexander's. I'd love to view it after all this time. :-)

As Always
Marilyn

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:02 pm

Thank you Carol! Poor David, no wonder I couldn't find him. I never expected him to have passed away before my gg gf, Matthew.

I'll need to see if I can get my hands on his death certificate.