New User Needing Help Please

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

forfarlass

New User Needing Help Please

Post by forfarlass » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:12 pm

I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place but being new to this, hope you bear with me !!

I am trying to get some assistance regarding my husband's late uncle. Below, I have detailed all the information we have which was very easy to obtain whilst he was in Scotland. Sadly, no one in Canada seems to be able to help me. I have in the past, even hired a professional who went to Kew Gardens, and even he couldnt obtain any details from the Merchant Navy

If I post some details here, maybe someone could direct me to the right place

Thank you

N
Last edited by forfarlass on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russell

Re: New User Needing Help Please

Post by Russell » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi Forfarlass and welcome to [talkingscot] Your post is in the right place :D . We appreciate any posts on the site and if thwey are in completely the wrong place (i.e. where folk might miss them !) it is not too much trouble to move them :lol:
I can't help with possible Canadian migrants but we do have folk with access to local sources so let's hope one of them comes along soon.
We all do this for the enjoyment so if you see an enquiry about your area feel free to chip in your tuppence worth. Even knowledge of places and street names can prove the vital link in the other persons research.
Have you used our search facility to see whether your family name comes up in an older post ? (up in the top right-hand corner.)
Enjoy a browse round the site.

Russell (currently up in Caithness trying to find some of my long-lost family)
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Quest

Post by Quest » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:02 pm

After 1935
Library and Archives Canada does not hold copies of post-1935 records. Records of immigrants arriving at Canadian land and seaports from January 1, 1936 onwards remain in the custody of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. To request a copy of another person's immigration record, you must mail a signed request to the under-noted office:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/i ... ion.aspx#a

Records for that date are closed for public searching you can write and inquire. See web link for more information

Good luck Quest
Surnames: Ross, Rae, Reid, Leslie, Donaldson, and other in and around Aberdeen & Kincardineshire.

Quest

Post by Quest » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:52 am

Also as an aside note - the province of Nova Scotia has its own vital statistics records that might be worth inquiry.
Surnames: Ross, Rae, Reid, Leslie, Donaldson, and other in and around Aberdeen & Kincardineshire.

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:10 am

Courier and advertiser (Dundee), Wednesday, April 29, 1943
DEATHS.
BROWN.--On Apr. 28, after a lingering illness borne with Christian patience, Davina, dearly beloved daughter of the late Alexander Low and Mrs Low, 6 King's Cross Rd. Funeral arrangements later.

A similar notice the following day added “Funeral Saturday 2 p.m., from St. Margaret's, Lochee.

No mention of a spouse, perhaps they were no longer together?

Alan

forfarlass

Post by forfarlass » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:47 pm

Thank you all for your comments

As far as contacting anyone in Nova Scotia is concerned, that is a brick wall ! Not one organisation wishes to assist, even when I offer to pay for the research. They either do not reply or simply do not wish to help

However, many thanks to all who took the time to reply to my post :)

Laura

Post by Laura » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:47 am

forfarlass wrote:I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place but being new to this, hope you bear with me !!

I am trying to get some assistance regarding my husband's late uncle. Below, I have detailed all the information we have which was very easy to obtain whilst he was in Scotland. Sadly, no one in Canada seems to be able to help me. I have in the past, even hired a professional who went to Kew Gardens, and even he couldnt obtain any details from the Merchant Navy

If I post some details here, maybe someone could direct me to the right place

Thank you

N
I would love to help you, but I don't see any details about the person you are looking for.

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Greetings
I would love to help you, but I don't see any details about the person you are looking for.
May I suggest that you contact the poster via a PM as it appears that search information may also involve the living.

Alan SHARP.

Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:29 pm

Thank you, Alan.