Mary AVERKOFF of Innisfail circa 1917

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

leerutherford

Re: Mary AVERKOFF of Innisfail circa 1917

Post by leerutherford » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Jim McCreadie,

Mary Averkoff is my great-aunt and William George Averkoff is my great-uncle - they are brother and sister.

What would you like to know about them? I would love to see any information you may have about William and the first world war.

There were seven children altogether William was the oldest, followed by Mary and then George, Fredrick Serjus, Edward Serguis, Nona Minnie and Olive Olga (Nona and Olive were the only ones born in Australia).

Their father (Serguis) died in April 1915 which would have left William as the 'bread' winner considering their mother could hardly speak any English.

LeeR
LeeR
[color=#00BFFF][i]Looking for ancestors in Roxbrugh[/i][/color]

q98

Re: Mary AVERKOFF of Innisfail circa 1917

Post by q98 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:08 pm

MANY thanks LeeR
Mary was nominated as beneficiary of the death pension of 6320 Private John McCreadie, 15 Battalion, following his 1917 death in action. Written advice located in John's Service Record advised her claim was "Rejected on the ground that claimant is not considered to be a dependent within the meaning of the Act." Were they sweethearts, engaged perhaps?

I do not hold much information regarding Mary although John is in my direct line. I am willing to forward for your persual a short precis of his life.

Please contact me at

jim.mccreadieATbigpond.com
Edited [AT=@] to prevent spammers

Jim
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E