Ruxtons in Australia ** birthday bumped post **

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Ruxtons in Australia

Post by SarahND » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:58 am

Thanks so much, Trish!
That confirms that he did have a son, so I'm on the right track. It would have been nice of them to give a name and address :roll: , but I guess that would be too much to ask! There are a number of possible people in the white pages (since one can only put in a first initial) but I suppose the ones in ACT would be the most likely? Or do people in Australia move about as much as those in the U.S., in which case they could be anywhere...

Thanks again :D
Sarah

trish1

Re: Ruxtons in Australia

Post by trish1 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:54 pm

People do move, but many stay in the one state or even town all their lives (my husband lives 20 minutes from where he was born - I have moved interstate). I would certainly follow up those in Canberra - there seem to be a couple with an initial which seems likely. It was nice to confirm the son & I think your thoughts re his children are probably correct

Trish

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Ruxtons in Australia ** birthday bumped post **

Post by SarahND » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:22 pm

This one was a lot of fun, starting out in Brazil, passing through Aberdeen, onto Australia, leading to London, off to India and finally ending up back in Australia. In addition, it attracted the notice of a distant cousin and put me in touch with another branch of the family!

[birthday]
Talking Scot is 10 years old!
To celebrate we are “bumping” selected older posts - posts we enjoyed , posts with knotty puzzles, posts which made us laugh, posts which brought a tear to our eye and posts where the problem solving skills of Talking Scot members won the day. Why not join us in our celebrations by “birthday bumping” some of your favourite posts? Just post a reply to the end of any of your favourite posts and remember to mention in your reply it is a “Birthday Bumped” post!
=D> \:D/ [cheers] \:D/ =D>

“Birthday bumps” or “dumps” are a tradition in Scotland, especially in school playgrounds, where the birthday boy or girl was pursued in order to be given “dumps” or “bumps” - usually a series of bumps on the behind with a knee, corresponding to the number of years the birthday person had now reached (and sometimes an extra one for luck!). For more info about Scottish birthday dumps or bumps, see
http://www.scotslanguage.com/word/Apr-2 ... day_custom_