Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Ruxtons in Australia ** birthday bumped post **

Post by SarahND » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:50 am

Hi all,
I occasionally search again for the elusive Ruxton girls baptised in Rio:

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8178
(sorry the images aren't up any more, but you get the gist from the post)

They don't appear in any U.K. censuses, don't seem to have married or died in the U.K. either, but are mentioned in their stepfather's will of 1870. From my latest idle googling, I suddenly found a trace of Janet born 1812, known as Jessie, This from the Melbourne Argus of 30 July 1872:

"RUXTON.- If JESSIE RUXTON, daughter of the late Mrs. C. Ruxton or Giles, will communicate with Messrs. A. And J. Bruce, W.S., 14 Frederickstreet, Edinburgh, she will hear of something to her advantage."

I assume this is to inform her of a small legacy from her stepfather, James Giles, who died on 6 October 1870 in Aberdeen. The sisters reportedly (from his diary) caused him no end of trouble in his lifetime, so it was nice of him to leave them something...

"Fourth for payment within three months after the first term of Whitsunday or Martinmas after my decease to Clementina Ruxton now Sola and her Sister Jessie Ruxton the two surviving children of my late wife Mrs. Clementina Farquharson or Ruxton by her first marriage the sum of nineteen pounds ten shillings each "

That is the only trace of these girls I can find besides their baptisms. So, a couple of questions:

1) "Clementina Ruxton now Sola" I have assumed this meant that she had been married but was now on her own? AnneM or other legal eagles can you advise?

2) In his will he refers to other married women by both their maiden and married names. For instance, his daughter is "Emma Giles or Adlington". So why no married names for the Ruxton girls? And if they never married, why can't I find them under the name Ruxton anywhere?

Thought the Melbourne Argus note was a breakthrough, but that seems to be all there is... unless some of you brilliant members downunder have any suggestions as to where I might look. I have tried to cover the obvious databases, but I'm not very experienced at searching in Australia and it is very possible that I have missed something.

Grateful for any suggestions,
Sarah

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:02 am

Hi Sarah
"Clementina Ruxton now Sola" I have assumed this meant that she had been married but was now on her own?
I'd have read that as her maiden name was Ruxton, she was now Mrs Sola (given that it goes on to say she was a daughter of Mrs C Ruxton and a sister to Jessie)
I'd be thinking from the wording that Jessie had not married, or not to his knowledge if only Ruxton is given as her surname.

Best wishes
Lesley

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 pm

LesleyB wrote: I'd have read that as her maiden name was Ruxton, she was now Mrs Sola (given that it goes on to say she was a daughter of Mrs C Ruxton and a sister to Jessie)
That's what I initially thought, also... can't remember why I changed my mind :roll: The usual problem with names that are also words! Try googling Clementina Sola and you'll see what I mean: lots of poor Clementinas in Spanish and Italian who are alone! :lol: I assumed there was a bit of Latin creeping into the will, telling us that although she had been married, she was now legally independent. I could have sworn I actually saw this somewhere... Oh dear, a senile linguist is a scary thing :shock: :lol:

Regards,
Sarah

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:08 pm

I don't know of the difference between "now" "married name" and "or" "married name". On the wills I have, the "or" option seems to be used. I am vaguely wondering if perhaps she married more than once, or took on a new name for some other reason.

I agree with Leslie, without another name, it is assumed Jessie did not marry, as far as is known to the person writing the will.

Meanwhile, the Vic BDMs are online - but for a fee. I have them on CD. I find a death in 1886 for a Jessie

Ref 7449 Jessie RUXTON Age 88 Year 1886 Place S Y (South Yarra perhaps - a Suburb of Melbourne)

The age is somewhat wrong - but there are no parents on the index, so the informant did not know lot about this Jessie. The certificate image which can be bought online for $17.50 (about 8/9 pounds at the minute) may not have alot more useful information as those things usually given - parents, where born, husband, children may well be missing. It will give a cause of death, place of death and where buried. And it may not be your Jessie.
http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574 ... ch~&2=~&3=~

Australian BDMs are by state. Most are online - to at least 1900 - I didn't see a marriage for Jessie in Vic NSW WA Qld and Tas - I don't have SA data & it is not online.

Wills are also online for early Victoria - no sign of Jessie
http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/ ... earchid=54

There is no census data post 1841 available in Australia, the records were destroyed after being summarised. Jessie is unlikely to be on electoral rolls as I think 1901 Federation was the first time women could vote - would have to check Victorian history to be sure of that.

Trish

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Thanks, Trish!
That may well be the right woman. One assumes she appeared very old to the person who filled out the form and her age was exaggerated-- I've seen that before.

I, too, have always seen the "or" for married names. The rest of the will uses "or". That's what made me wonder why she is singled out with "now".

There are stories of the above mentioned "Emma Giles or Adlington" moving to Italy and never coming back to Scotland. Perhaps she went to join Clementina Ruxton or Sola?! I'm afraid there will be a bit of a wait before all the Italian records are online.

Thanks for your help,
Sarah

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:41 am

Hello Sarah,

The Sydney Morning Herald should be online before too long. It would be interesting to see whether the 1872 Advert appears there as well. If it does it may suggest that they had no idea where she was and were just fishing. If it doesn’t it may indicate that they knew for a fact she was somewhere in Victoria.

All the best,
Alan

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Sarah
I gave up on Jessie :oops: and had a go at Clementina instead.

I think I have found an interesting family, but sadly lack any evidence as yet that this Clementina is yours :
Here we go :

1841 Census Clerkenwell
has James Solly a musician with wife Clementine aged 28 born Brazil ( Ancestry transcription is Beryds :roll: not Brazil ).
They have a son James F. Solly aged 1 & 1/2 born Middlesex.
Absolutely no sign of a poss. marriage - perhaps occurred outside of England or prior to 1837 ? Or perhaps it did not happen at all .....

On Ancestry there is a baptism for James Frederick Solly in 1840 in Clerkenwell . Parents James & Clementina Solly .
James a Professor of Music. FreeBMD index also has the birth . ( Would the birth entry as opposed to the baptism give mother's maiiden name ???? )

No sign of them until 1855 !!! .

In 1855 Ancestry has the baptism of Alfred Thomas Solly and Clementina Emma Solly . Parents James Noon Solly
and Clementine Solly in Lambeth . Abode 21 East Street. No date of birth given.
And FreeBMD has no matching births ... And James Noon Solly's Occupation is Clerk in the Honourable East India Civil Service!

In 1859 a Clemantine Emma Solly dies in Lambeth.

No sign of family together on any census .

However in 1853 , we have this on the IGI .

JAMES NOON SOLA

Marriages:
Spouse: HENRIETTA AUGUSTA KIDD
Marriage:
19 JUL 1853 India Office Ecclesiastical Returns-Bengal Presidency,,Misc, , , India

Ok so what - What has James Noon Solly got to do with James Noon Sola ?
Well .....

The FIBIS website http://www.search.fibis.org/frontis/bin ... ?id=760100

has transcribed the death ? or something of JN SOLA, Professor of MUSIC on Jan 10 1890 at Dinapore aged 70.

So if James Noon Sola and James Noon Solly are one & the same ( you can tell which way I'm leaning .. ) , Did Clementina Of Brazil die in India ?

I don't think so.

Clementina does turn up in London I think. In 1871 , she seems to be enumerated as Christina Solly a widow aged 56 in Lambeth. The important info is that she
was born in Brazil , or as Ancestry would have it "Bragels South Annisa Butosh Subpet" . :lol:

In 1881 ,a Charlotte Solly Widow aged 60 born Brazil is in Lambeth.
And a possible Death in Lambeth in 1890 of a Clementina Solly aged 69 .

But how to prove that this Clementina was a Ruxton - again , I wonder of the birth Registration of James Frederick Solly in 1840
would show her maiden name ( I have never ordered an English birth ! Never had to !!! )

Would love to find her in 1851 and 1861 , also her surviving children , but struggling with that.

Possible ??????? You said she was trouble....

Sally

I am thinking that Sola sounds more musical than Solly.
So a needle pulling thread, La a note to follow So ...

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:21 pm

:lol: Sally m'dear you've outdid yersel :lol: I have felt postively BRAIN DEAD :( towards any brickwall smashing for a spell now so it's fantastically wonderful to read your post =D> ......It has to pan out.....it just has to!!!!! :D

Here's to Sally [cheers]

Best wishes
Jean

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Oh Jean you've made me go all :oops:
This could be a lot of red herrings anyway.

I've got plenty brick walls that may either Kill Or Cure your condition !
Sally

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:33 pm

Well, after the usual mad scramble to pack things up and somehow get to the airport on time... then struggles with connecting in the Toronto airport where we have 7 hours layover... I am absolutely :shock: STUNNED at your brilliance, Sally!!! =D> =D> =D> [many-greens]

You are a [star]

I do believe you have found her! I've a mind to drive up to Belgium after the plane lands in Paris and take you out to dinner :D

[cheers]
Sarah

P.S. The musician part fits right into that family as well. This is going to make a great story! (I might have known she would have turned out to be a Butosh Subpet, given her early life)