Decoding a Marriage cert. for a N.Z. gunner after WW1

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Decoding a Marriage cert. for a N.Z. gunner after WW1

Post by AndrewP » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:36 am

theKiwi wrote:No, I think AndrewP had it right in the second post in this thread - Whangamomona, which is just outside present day Taranaki, but quite possibly in the "old" Taranaki Province. The current "Manawatu-Wanganui didn't exist in 1919.
AndrewP wrote:I had a look at the marriage certificate on SP and reckon his address is given as Whangamomona, Taranaki, New Zealand; present station Hornchurch, Essex.
All the best,

AndrewP

bobandbryony

Post by bobandbryony » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi everyone

In the excitement of not only finding the son of our long lost relative but actually speaking to him on the phone I forgot to come back on the place name.

Dave now lives in Otewa in Otorohanga outside of Aukland. His parents however farmed at Hawera Taranaki. Shanga I am told may have been the name of their home. Dave's father was at Gallipoli and badly wounded by shrapnel which was never removed and gave him gyp for the rest of his life. He was evacuated to Edinburgh which is where he met his wife who returned with him to N.Z. in 1919.

Dave is 77 and has an elder sister who is also still alive. They have lots of kids and grand kids. Our tree has spouted many many branches - I'm pleased to say.

Thanks for your help and suggestions and the picture of the pub!

Bob

theKiwi

Post by theKiwi » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:23 pm

bobandbryony wrote:His parents however farmed at Hawera Taranaki. Shanga I am told may have been the name of their home.
They (Dave's parents) might well have farmed at Hawera upon their return to New Zealand after 1919, but pre-1919 - at whatever time it was that Albert Thompson had last lived in New Zealand prior to enlisting and heading overseas, he lived at Whangamomona - I think that word is quite clear on the image - it definitely starts with Whangamom... - the left part of the W starts in the vertical line that separates his age 29 from the Place field on the form. There is no S in the Maori language as written out in English.

Roger
Searching: Admiston, Breingan, Cairns, Clark, Dewar, Houliston, Moffat, Nicol, Stoddart, Wright and plenty of others..., see

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/
http://houliston.lisaandroger.com/
http://genealogy.ClanMoffat.org/

eNZedFred

Post by eNZedFred » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:39 am

G'day there, If you handed me that bit of paper, I would say Whangamomona without a doubt. Had lunch there last week-end, and yep, it was at the pub. It's the only thing left there now that opens with any regularity. We call it by the shortened slang name of Whanga, pronounced Wong-ga. But that's not too respectful of its proper name.
There is a sportsground down the Whanga Road and I'm pretty sure that the gate posts have a list of the locals that served in WWI, but perhaps just the ones that never made it home. There is a cemetery down there too. There will be an Honour Roll somewhere too, either of the two churches or the Hall, or in the pub.
The next settlement further out is Kohuratai (my uncle had a farm out back of there) and they have a district War Memorial across the road from the hall. (and that's all that is there) The area is a bit tourist now, with the State Highway 43 being re-named the Forgotten Highway. Runs from Stratford to Taumarunui. (Railway line has just closed too) I think it is the only State Highway in NZ that remains gravel for a portion.
I love the place and visit often, so anyone wanting some general pictures or whatever, give me a message.
Whangamomona used to be part of Taranaki Provence, but the local government boundaries were realligned to correspond with catchments of rivers. The Whangamomona River eventually flows into the Wanganui River (Whanganui) so Whanga found itself cut-off from Taranaki, the only road link to the nearest 24/7 town. To protest, Whanga declared itself to be a republic and elected a President. They close the town one day a year and you need a passport to enter. They have events like a wild pig hunt, possum skinning, a hill race, sheep shearing, and other rural events. The election of the President is hotly contested. For a few years the position was held by a goat used to keep the weeds down on the bank over the road from the pub. After that I think it was the Publican's wife's black poodle. Some bloke dressed in drag was a recent holder.
I'm picking that if you google Forgotten Highway Stratford you will get a hit, and likewise try Whangamomona Republic.
I'm new to this place, so give me the message if this is the sort of stuff not wanted in here.
Cheers, Fred.

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:35 am

Good story Fred, keep ‘em coming.

The Whangamomona Republic sounds pretty prestigious to me, it’s even made it into Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whangamomona

Not to mention Google Books. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=5ZR ... nt&f=false

Electing a Goat or Poodle as President of anything is probably a bit too up-market for my neck-of-the-woods.

All the best,
Alan