Looking for birth record in South Australia

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Looking for birth record in South Australia

Post by Dennis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:35 am

Hello,

I have a name and dob for a person that was born in South Australia; how can I get a transcript of it? The year was in the 1960s.

regards. dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

trish1

Re: Looking for birth record in South Australia

Post by trish1 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:10 am

Hi Dennis

Your post & PM remind me I was going to check something at the library for you - but I haven't been there recently. It will be the new year before I manage same - sorry about that.

For this query - there is no way you can get access to a birth certificate or transcript for that period in Australia - unless you are the person (or next of kin if the person has died). Most states have a 100 year access bar on birth certificates - I am not sure about SA - it may be slightly less, but wouldn't be less than 80 years. (I'm trying to access the SA BDM website to check - if it was any slower - it will be Christmas before I get there) This is the transcription service
http://www.saghs.org.au/research.htm#transcription - births to 1928 (so 80 years it is)

Looking for newspaper announcements might be an option, but I don't think the newspapers at that late time have been indexed, so without a date it would be somewhat difficult. (Edit - I see you have given me a date in a pm so newspaper may have some information) I'll try to think of something else & answer your PM - someone else may have some ideas, I have done almost no research for SA, and they have very little online

Trish