Dawson Family to Australia

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

maggiehill

Dawson Family to Australia

Post by maggiehill » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 pm

My grandfathers half brother and his family went to Victoria Australia between 1922 and 1924.

The family were living in Greenock and there names were;
James Finlayson Dawson born 1889
Janet Dawson born 1886
James Finlayson Dawson born 1920
Janet Dawson born 1922 she died in Victoria in 1924

I have the Electorial Rolls for 1931 to 1954 and the death certificate for James but cannot find out how they went to Australia.

Maggie

Kathy

Re: Dawson Family to Australia

Post by Kathy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Maggie,

Here is a link to James Jr, WW2 service record, there may be an arrival date on the record -- http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDet ... &B=6098773
McNeil, McNeill, Craig, Orr, Mitchell, McArthur, McMillan, McGregor, Gray, Dixon, Graham, RFW, Port Glasgow, Greenock & Paisley.
Thornton, Lynch, Flood, Sexton, County Cavan Ireland.
Appleby, Cardiff, Wales,Cooke, Holder, Gloucestershire, England

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:31 am

Hi Maggie
You can find their journey to Australia in 1924 at www.findmypast.co.uk . They are indexed there as Dowson and there are 2 more children I think.

Hope this helps
Sally

trish1

Post by trish1 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:34 am

Kathy wrote:Hi Maggie,

Here is a link to James Jr, WW2 service record, there may be an arrival date on the record -- http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ItemDet ... &B=6098773
Hi kathy & Maggie

Those links are deleted over time - you have to redo the search - if you go to http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/record ... index.aspx - select "search now as a guest" - you can redo the search.

If you want the full record, you have to apply to have it digitised - I think $16.50 - it will take awhile as the record "hasn't been examined" but this just means no-one has asked for same.

He can also be found on the nominal roll
http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/name.asp#searchtabs

His nok is given as Mavis (also on the Electoral roll as you probably found) - this is probably the marriage index
DAWSON Jas Finlayson married PURDY Mavis Amelia 1942 ref 13886

Do you have the death of Janet snr - this looks to be the only one (to 1985) that matches the age - not sure about the name.
DAWSON Janet Hunter Lai parents unknown Place Park age 83 1969 ref 25225

The Australian immigration records are sometimes hard to find at this time as the responsibility was changing from the states to the Federal government. Most state records don't go past 1920, which is why the English records from 1890 are very useful. I noticed Victoria go to 1923 - so it seems your people just missed this list. The more recent immigrans of the 1950s/1960s can often be found on the archives site.

Trish

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi Cathy,Trish and Sally

I did look on findmypast but as it is indexed incorrectly I did not find the information. The Walter on the list was from Janet's first marriage and I forgot young John. I have also now have James Jnr Army Records from the nominal roll.

The Janet Hunter Dawson death in 1969 is right one.
I have James Snr death certificate which gives you so much information and have now got the remaining children's names and ages.

<all born after our cut off date of 1909. LesleyB. See Essential Reading section for more info
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6601
"Talking Scot & mentioning living or recent persons">

Some of the should still be living and I will search for them. I am specially interested in Margaret as I have the same name, but I have not found a marriage for her.
The name is very common in Australia they have the most Dawsons per million people in the world.

Thanks you all

Maggie
Maggie

Family names, Lando, Turley, Finlayson, Yeoman, Pollock, French, Renwick, Watson, Pollock, Fell, Marchbanks, Greenshields

ryan

Post by ryan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Was your man a joiner? He's on find mypast in febury 1924 going to australia. name of Dowson. theirs another scots family tree website who woud get you these papers but I dont think Im aloud to mention there name here. ryan

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:47 pm

To All

I put the death certificate of James F L Dawson on my tree on Anc**** and unbelievably a son-inlaw of one of the Dawson girls contacted me within 2 days giving me all the Australian family history. The power of the internet. I can now contact the Dawson family in the UK all because an A was transribed as a O on FMP.

Peter
Maggie

Family names, Lando, Turley, Finlayson, Yeoman, Pollock, French, Renwick, Watson, Pollock, Fell, Marchbanks, Greenshields