For those who have not seen or heard the news referred to above:

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/anzac-d ... ty-3487977

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 642536.stm

All the best,

AndrewP

Roxy

Re: April 25th ANZAC Day – LEAST WE FORGET-

Post by Roxy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:01 pm

It appears that the 4th crewmember did not die, but is serious but stable in hospital. Sorry for any confusion.

Get well soon.

Roxy
I'll think of something appropriate soon!

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks for the link.

As I had not seen the late news I did not challenge Roxy's post, and again missed this mornings, to know where we are at, but must away to get some work done. Alan.

momat

Post by momat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:35 pm

For those that lost family at Gallipoli there is this site,
http://www.anzac.govt.nz/

And with out disparaging anyone it is commony known as "LEST we forget".
Maureen

Alan SHARP

Re: April 25th ANZAC Day – LEST WE FORGET-

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:26 am

Least / Lest : point noted - thanks - dumb yokels that can't spell. Apologies to Wee Ann also. Where would we be without an "a" & a "e"

Up date just off the NZ TV One web page, pasted so no spelling mistakes from me:-

QUOTE -
The Air Force says a thorough inquiry is underway into how an Air Force helicopter smashed into a hillside, killing three people.
The Iroquois helicopter was on its way from Ohakea to an Anzac Day service in Wellington when it crashed near Porirua shortly before 6am yesterday.
Flying Officer Daniel Stephen Gregory, 28, Corporal Benjamin Andrew Carson, 25, and Flight Lieutenant Hayden Peter Madsen, 33, died.
The sole surviving crew member, who was found near the wreckage, remains in a serious but stable condition in Wellington Hospital with chest and leg injuries. The Air Force says it's hopeful he will make a full recovery.
END QUOTE.

+

Flying Officer Daniel Stephen Gregory

Corporal Benjamin Andrew Carson

Flight Lieutenant Hayden Peter Madsen

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:02 pm

The quote below, was received as part of correspondence between myself and Dan. He has graciously consented to it being published, in support of the 'CALLED TO SERVE' project. Alan SHARP.

April 26th, 2010.

"I read Jack Allen's diary because what caught my eye was that he was writing at the
beginning of 1941 and when I came to March I knew there would be a reference
to the German raid on Clydeside, and there was! Aged nine, I, with my family,
was at the receiving end of that raid, in which two of my uncles were among the
1200 killed. Women and children were evacuated from Clydebank after the
first night, and my family did not get back for two years. I found the rest of the
article interesting and very moving......"

Dan Muir.

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Dr Daniel Paton, has emailed me, and consented to my quoting him on this forum. In part he stated:-

QUOTE:
"I visited the cemetery on Sunday to pay my respects.
Any information you have on any of these men will be welcome. Thanks for the material already sent. The only one we have information on is Courtis who was with 111 squadron in 1940 when it was at Montrose/Dyce. He was killed when his Hurricane crashed near Edzell in bad weather.
Montrose was active in training pilots in both world wars so the Ist WW casualty is no surprise.
I have a separate enquiry about a RNZAF pilot with No1 Squadron who was killed flying Typhoons. We have his medals including a DFC and information about his service history but nothing on his family background......."

Dr Daniel Paton, Curator
Montrose Air Station Heritage centre

rafmontroseATaol.com

END QUOTE
--------------------------------------------------------
I am advised by Errol MARTIN, "FOR YOUR TOMORROW" that he believes the ‘1 Squadron man’ mentioned is:

PERRIN, Flight Lieutenant Desmond Palmer, DFC.

kao 10 Sep 44. Le Treport Military Cemetery - I.P.1, Seine Maritime, France. Son of Alfred Charles Robert & Margaret Theresa Perrin (née Blewman), Invercargill New Zealand; husband of Anna Margarette M'Beth Perrin (née Cleland), Coatbridge, Lan., Scotland. Note: credited with 1 e/a dest. [OHT1, BSD & phot. TWN 5.1.44 & 1.11.44].

Sun 10 Sep 1944

END OF ADVICE

Alan SHARP.

Adam Brown

Post by Adam Brown » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Alan SHARP wrote:I am advised by Errol MARTIN, "FOR YOUR TOMORROW" that he believes the ‘1 Squadron man’ mentioned is:
PERRIN, Flight Lieutenant Desmond Palmer, DFC.
kao 10 Sep 44. Le Treport Military Cemetery - I.P.1, Seine Maritime, France. Son of Alfred Charles Robert & Margaret Theresa Perrin (née Blewman), Invercargill New Zealand; husband of Anna Margarette M'Beth Perrin (née Cleland), Coatbridge, Lan., Scotland. Note: credited with 1 e/a dest. [OHT1, BSD & phot. TWN 5.1.44 & 1.11.44].Sun 10 Sep 1944
I don't know what all the abbreviations mean but I understand this entry from the CWGC below. I can also add that Flight lieutenant Perrin is listed on the Coatbridge War Memorial in Lanarkshire.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=665

PERRIN, DESMOND PALMER
Initials: D P
Nationality: New Zealand
Regiment/Service: Royal New Zealand Air Force
Unit Text: 198 (R.A.F.) Sqdn.
Date of Death: 10/09/1944
Service No: 404404
Awards: D F C
Additional information: Son of Alfred Charles and Margaret Theresa Perrin, of Wellington, New Zealand; husband of Anna Margarette Beth Perrin (nee Cleland), of Coatbridge, Scotland.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. P. 1.
Cemetery: LE TREPORT MILITARY CEMETERY

Regards

Adam
[url=http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/]Scottish War Memorials[/url]
[url=http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/]Scottish War Graves[/url]
[url=http://scottishmonuments.s2.bizhat.com/]Scottish Monuments, Memorials and Architectural Sculpture[/url]

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks Adam.

Fuller details re Desmond PERRIN and the other pilots, including training / service records, flight and accident reports, can be found in Errol's "For Your Tomorrow" which can be located in or loaned through your library service. Errol has kindly also donated copies of the details in the three volumes, (for those known to be resting at Montrose) to the Montrose Air Station Heritage Centre.

“For Your Tomorrow” is the result of years of pains taking research by Errol, and recognised as an authority on NZ personnel. Fully cross indexed and containing explanations for all the technical abbreviations used. Like most viewers I’m not an expert.

Alan SHARP.

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:12 am

Greetings All.

Well it is nearly six years on, and once again ANZAC day is fast approaching, and I get yet another reminder of the power of the internet and TALKINGSCOT in particular, when this morning I got an email telling me that TALKINGSCOT was holding a private message for me. Just my luck that when I tried to logon, over my morning cuppa before attending Church, the site could not be found. Due to assistance offered many years ago by a Moderator through a personal email of theirs, I tried to see if Andrew was just doing house keeping, or there was a more serious issue with the site. But that yahoo account bounced straight back, so no luck there either.

Now home again and low and behold I have gained entry, and access to my private message, that reads in part [edited QUOTE]

While I was walking through my local church cemetery yesterday, I noticed the grave stone of Alistair William Allen, a Royal New Zealand Air Force Flight Sergeant pilot who died on 15 September 1942.

I took some photographs of the headstone and posted one at http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/war-memor ... ord/C18042.

I then searched the internet to learn why Sergeant Allen ended up so far from home. Eventually, I came across your post of Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:16 pm, entitled "April 25th ANZAC Day – LEAST WE FORGET".

I am intrigued to learn more. Are there any surviving relatives of the Allen family still in New Zealand today? What happened to Mr. Allen's brother "Bud"? Any information that you can share with me would be most gratefully received.

End of edited quote.

Is it not great, that a passer by would take an interest in the sacrifice made by a total stranger, from the other side of the world?

He went on to say he felt a need to inform his young son, that the man in that grave had come from the other side of the world, and that he would like to be able tell his son, a little of the life of that man, who had died in the fight for freedoms cause.

I find this act very reassuring, that newer generations, than I, are prepared to reflect and acknowledge our heritage and values.

It is also another reminder for me that I should be making time with another hat of mine, ADOPT AN ANZAC, and find an other subject name from our local WWI Oblisek, to research and write up for our ANZAC observations 2016.. [WWII who fell are also honoured] However I'm having eye surgery this week, so that will have to wait until my recovery, hopefully in a week or to.

Alan SHARP.