National Library of Australia website

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

speleobat2

National Library of Australia website

Post by speleobat2 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:56 am

This might be old news, but my cousin just sent me this website: http://trove.nla.gov.au

Very easy to use! Found a bunch of articles on my Munro family. Had some of them, but there's couple of new ones in there too.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Currie

Re: National Library of Australia website

Post by Currie » Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks Carol,

The Trove site has been around for a while (not too long) but I don’t think it’s been posted before. It was one of the search options for the Australian newspaper site. http://www.nla.gov.au/ndp/search/

It’s been under development and the last time I looked a fair while back there didn’t seem to be much there but it seems to be bounding along now. I find the green interface more relaxing than the blue so I’ll switch to that now you’ve brought it to notice.

All the best,
Alan

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:47 am

Alan,

I thought the Trove site sounded familiar, but I know that I had never found the articles about James Munro's drowning death online before. Wini originally got them for me from the Queensland Library if I remember correctly and that was a couple of years ago now.

It's nice to see that the site is booming! And that it's free!!!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

trish1

Post by trish1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Using either colour - the site is amazing. I have been solving all sorts of minor mysteries with the SMH - I am finding many divorces in the family - quite a few came in 1920s, 1930s - which I wasn't expecting. It seems if one was deserted it was necessary to apply for "restoration of conjugal rights" and only when the order for same was not successful could one get a divorce. I wonder how many unwanted folks returned home?

Also finding obits (from the odd few "important" folks), inquests and many BDM notices, plus so many miscellaneous news and social items - rather overwhelming.

One of the wonderful and free online resources.

Trish