SE Queensland cemeteries website

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

speleobat2

SE Queensland cemeteries website

Post by speleobat2 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi all,

Came across this website today: http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/index.html

This is a private (non-governmental) website with pictures of gravestones in a long list of cemeteries in and around Brisbane. I found the gravestone for my grandmother's cousin James Munro and his wife Ellen Walker who drowned in the Brisbane River in 1911 after being in Australia only a week. They left four orphaned children and there were many articles written about the fund raising for these children in 1911. In 1916, the children shipped a pretty impressive gravestone to Lowood, Queensland from Scotland for their parents grave. The website has three pictures for just this one grave. It's free and it's easy to use. Looks like there is other miscellaneous genealogical information here too.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Currie

Re: SE Queensland cemeteries website

Post by Currie » Wed May 26, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks Carol,

It’s a pretty impressive site. I can’t find any of my Queensland lot there. I did find some on this similar site that also has free photographs of Queensland graves (& NSW as well). http://austcemindex.com/cemeteries.php?state=QLD

Great stuff,
Alan

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:43 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks for posting that website. It looks good too. I've passed it on to my cousin who has a friend with family in Queensland and bookmarked it for myself. I haven't found any more family other than James Munro who moved to AU, but there are a number of question marks in my tree still and I didn't know about James or his uncle David who moved to South Africa to start with either!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu May 27, 2010 10:52 am

Hello Carol,

Speaking of Queensland it now seems that you can use Google Advanced Search to search the whole domain of the Queensland State Archives site. I didn’t notice that last time I looked so maybe it’s new. It should be a lot quicker than searching all their databases individually. http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/indexes.asp

Even putting a common name in the ‘all words’ box doesn’t seem to produce an unmanageable number of results. A lot of their stuff is last name first so I guess that if there’s ever the need to search for the name as a phrase it’s probably a good idea to try it backwards as well.

All the best,
Alan