John Menzies -from Lenark to Kyneton

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish1

Re: John Menzies -from Lenark to Kyneton

Post by trish1 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Elizabeth died in 1886 aged 64, so born c. 1822 and abt 33 years old when she married. John was 82 at death in 1912 so born c. 1830. Assuming, of course that the ages given by informants are correct. My gg grandmother born about the same time said she was 34 at marriage (in Victoria) when she was actually over 40. She only had one child - not unexpected. Her husband was 10 years younger, but she outlived him by over 30 years.

Jessie was unmarried at her death and appeared to leave her estate (presumably inherited from her father) to charities so it would seem there are no further descendants of that line.

I'm not sure if you realise you can download images of Vic certificates online - rather than purchase a certified copy - it is somewhat cheaper to get the image - and much quicker. https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/i ... chaseImage
You need the year and registration number which you can lookup online - or use the numbers I have given as they are from an offline source - but the same numbers.

According to a list of Scotland parishes that I downloaded from somewhere?? Longforgan is in Perth 1633-1854 and after that in Dundee.

Trish

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi Trish
I did purchase a death cert. and a marridge cert. before I relised I could have down loded :oops: - so they are comming by snail mail. I did print out the probait - there was an other document I could not get in to and one popped up when I put Jessis name in - also could not get in to that one. there was nr to ring - I will give it a go on Monday
Longforgan does not look very big on google - so hopefully the right family Robertson -the cert's shood tell me. You have been a wonderful help =D> thanks
Heidi

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Heidihei wrote:Googling Longforgan, Perthshire - Longforgan, Dundee comes up - is it the same place?
Yes.

Politically, Longforgan was in Perthshire until 1975, when the counties were done away with. From 1975 it became part of Dundee District within Tayside Region. More recently it has became part of Perth & Kinross Council's area, rather than Dundee.

In terms of the GROS index used by ScotlandsPeople, Longforgan was in Perthshire pre-1855 (the OPRs) and 1855-1971. From 1972 to 2003, it was listed with Dundee, and since then under Perth & Kinross.

All the best,

AndrewP

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:42 am

AndrewP wrote:
Heidihei wrote:Googling Longforgan, Perthshire - Longforgan, Dundee comes up - is it the same place?
Yes.

Politically, Longforgan was in Perthshire until 1975, when the counties were done away with. From 1975 it became part of Dundee District within Tayside Region. More recently it has became part of Perth & Kinross Council's area, rather than Dundee.

In terms of the GROS index used by ScotlandsPeople, Longforgan was in Perthshire pre-1855 (the OPRs) and 1855-1971. From 1972 to 2003, it was listed with Dundee, and since then under Perth & Kinross.

All the best,

AndrewP
Hi Andrew

Thank you for correcting my info - I had thought I had the file from GROS so no doubt misread the columns

Trish

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:48 am

Heidihei wrote:Hi Trish
I did purchase a death cert. and a marridge cert. before I relised I could have down loded :oops: - so they are comming by snail mail. I did print out the probait - there was an other document I could not get in to and one popped up when I put Jessis name in - also could not get in to that one. there was nr to ring - I will give it a go on Monday
Longforgan does not look very big on google - so hopefully the right family Robertson -the cert's shood tell me. You have been a wonderful help =D> thanks
Heidi
There is one online document for Jessie in the probate list (there are 2 documents referenced but only one is online). They take a long time to download - especially at busy times. If you can't access it - try again at another time. I did look at Jessie's probate and it included the large list of charities I mentioned - the value was much the same as for her father's estate. Pleased that it is the right information - and as you say the marriage should confirm the names of both sets of parents

Trish

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:41 am

Hi Andrew and Trish

Thanks Andrew for that wonderful information.
Trish I am printing out Jessies papers as I "speake" - I am 99 % sure it the right ones. I will have a good look at them thise evening after work. :D thanks Heidi

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:20 am

trish1 wrote:
AndrewP wrote:
Yes.

All the best,

AndrewP
Hi Andrew

Thank you for correcting my info - I had thought I had the file from GROS so no doubt misread the columns

Trish
Hi Trish,

The SP index and GROS published list did have it wrong until recently. That one and a few others were corrected, mostly from my nagging them that they were wrong.

All the best,

AndrewP

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi
Printed out the instant cheeper Death cert. for Jessie and for her mum Elizabeth. Must say the above information has been wonderful and the web pages given to me has been a fantastic help. As John's little family in Oz ends with Jessies death - the only bit of mystery left is way Elizabeth never new or may be talked about her mum - "mothers name unknown" it says on her death cert. Fam. Search has a Elizabeth Robertson born in Longforgan in 1820 - father Andrew Robertson and mother Helen Ritchie. Back to the Scotish side - there is many more. :D
Thanks Heidi [cheers]

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi
John Menzies death and marridge cert. arieved from Victoria - it is an A3 copy of the page you see on the web and cost $ 10 extra :oops: - it does have Elizabets mother's name. :)
Heidi

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:28 am

You should have a "star" and a certification on the back - for that you pay the $10 :( - I have some of those from the days before the images were on the internet - lucky they married after 1853 - that was when civil registration (and parent names on marriages) started in Victoria :D

Nice to hear that the search was successful

Trish