Australian Records Help Please

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish58

Australian Records Help Please

Post by trish58 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:21 am

Ruth Stephenson Lovatt born 1873 Lincoln England.

Ruth travels to Australia 1895 on the ship JUMNA and arrives in Maryborough Queensland.

Ruth marries Henry Collins in 1896. So far so good, then this is where I get lost, I can see Ruth Stephenson (stevenson) on the 1905, 1908, 1913 Electorial Rolls but I am not sure if the other Collins people are her family or not ! :oops: I can find no birth records for any children using the Australian Records, no death record for Henry or Ruth, :oops: again. Not even sure if Henry is English or Australian.

I know I live here in Australia but have had no need to search their records as all my family are English, Scottish, Irish, so finding these searches difficult, not sure why Oz couldn't be like most of the rest of the world and have census records :roll:

Any and all ideas welcome please.

Thanks-Trish :)
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

trish1

Re: Australian Records Help Please

Post by trish1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:53 am

Hello Trish

I get annoyed about those destroyed census records also - but we do have the advantage of having parents listed on birth and death indexes in most states. Have you thought about the possibility of the family returning to the UK or Henry serving in WWI. I'll check what I have access to and see if I can find any trace of the family

Do you have the name of Ruth's parents?

Trish (another one)

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:09 pm

My original ideas don't appear to have had much merit - I find the following on the Qld bdms

Ruth Stephensen Lovatt married Henry COLLINS 8 Dec 1896 ref 002177
There do not seem to be any children born to this couple in Queensland to 1914

Ruth Stephenson Collins married Alfred Robert Thurgate 24 Dec 1913 ref 000274
There are a number of deaths for Henry Collins 1905 - 1913 I can't immediately work out if one of these is yours - you would need the name of his parents (would be on the marriage certificate)

The other Collins with the same street address on the electoral roll in 1913 are probably siblings or parents of her husband - you could try matching them to the death indexes - difficult to see a good match for parents, so perhaps siblings. They could have divorced - but unlikely.

Qld births are only available to 1914 & I don't see any for the Thurgate couple.

Trish
Last edited by trish1 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:28 pm

This would seem to be Ruth's parents listed on her death index

Ruth died in 1950 ref C84 Death Ruth Stephenson THURGATE parents Silvanus Lovatt and Mary Ann Stephenson.
Alfred Robert died in 1940 - ref C82 parents John Thomas and Hannah Storey

I can't find a death notice in the online newspapers but those local to Maryborough/Rocky are not among the NLA online papers. You can find the actual date on the Qld indexes by changing the dates searched within 1950. This would allow you to search for a newspaper notice - or if you do not have access to same - you could send a query to the NLA who have 99% of all Australian papers - mainly on film. A death certificate should list if there are any children. Children seem unlikely as ruth and Alfred are the only folks named Thurgate in the online Qld rolls.

Ruth is on the electoral roll in Bundaberg to 1949, Alfred is there in 1937 (no occupation given for Alfred on any of the electoral records that I saw).

Trish

trish1

Post by trish1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Ruth and Albert are buried in Bundaberg gen cemetery
http://bundaberg.qld.gov.au/services/ce ... y=thurgate

Surname: THURGATE Given Name(s): Alfred Robert
Year of Birth: 1863 Year of Death: 1940
Place of Residence: 20 Rubyanna St Bundaberg Place of Birth: Norfolk Eng England
Church: Methodist Minister: Rev Denny
Grave Details:
Cemetery: Bberg General
Ownership: Private War Grave: No

Burial Details:
Surname: THURGATE Given Name(s): Ruth Stevenson
Year of Birth: 1874 Year of Death: 1950
Place of Residence: Wynter St Bundaberg Place of Birth: England
Church: Methodist Minister: Rev Bainbridge
Grave Details:
Cemetery: Bberg General
Ownership: Private War Grave: No

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:01 pm

Trish :)

Thank you so much for all the information :D I didn't think to look for another marriage as I couldn't find a death for Henry or Ruth .....All the info on Ruth is correct including parents names.

My Brother lives in Hervey Bay so the next time I am up there I may spend the day looking around the Bunderberg cemetary which as you would know is only next door I am :D

Thanks again-Trish :)
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Trish

I just had a look at the cemetary in Bunderberg, won't have any trouble finding it as there is a great map posted, also the grave is highlighted. I was up there 4 weeks ago-drat it :)

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:48 am

I am envious of your brother - we love Hervey bay, were there just a few months ago - He or you should be able to get copies of the newspapers of the time somewhere in Bundaberg (or even Maryborough - which has an active FHS). Just to be historical, "the esplanade" at Hervey Bay - I recently discovered is actually called "Charlton Esplanade". We believe it is named after my husband's g grandfather who was a surveyor in the area 1870s - the world gets smaller when tracing family.

best wishes

Trish

trish58

Post by trish58 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:33 am

What a great find for your family Trish, I love Hervey Bay used to go every 6-7 weeks but when the fares jumped from $59 one way to $150 one way it curbed the visits somewhat.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to look for info on Ruth's Brother ? Ephrain Stephenson Lovatt born 1868 Lincoln, he sailed into Australia 1890, and died 1909, on the 1881 census he is at Christ Hospital Lincoln and listed as deaf & dumb. Can find no record of a marriage in UK, and no electorial rolls in Australia. His death just states Queensland.

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:17 am

Did other family members come out with him, before him? If he was deaf/dumb it seems so unlikely that he would immigrate alone - I thought he may be joining Ruth but she came later. I see him on the lists into Sydney - as unassisted - no information whatsoever & no other Lovatt on board.

From the death index it was country Queensland (brisbane district records contain the B in the index number) - but that just means anywhere outside of central Brisbane. The informant didn't know his mother's name so probably not a sibling. (Date of death on the CD is 18 January 1909). If you are in Brisbane you could try the archives - if he was ill there may be some hospital records - otherwise a death certificate is probably the best option (but not cheap). If he stayed awhile in NSW there are electoral rolls available other than the online versions - would probably find some at the NAA at Cannon Hill - or in may places if you are in NSW. I don't see a marriage in NSW or Qld.

I'm not alot of help with this one - sorry

Trish

Qld archives - http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/indexes.asp
NSW archives - http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/