Editorial - Suicide 1876 - Takaka

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Alan SHARP

Editorial - Suicide 1876 - Takaka

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:00 am

Greetings

Last night I was using Papers Past, to research three papers, with a local coverage in the 1870’s. One of the research clips, brought up, had some editorial copy attached, which graphically illustrates the social ramifications of suicide, in the context of the time. I found it a very interesting read, but definitely not for the faint of heart.

The leading paragraph caught me eye, just before I went to discard it.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bi ... eshfield--

Daily Southern Cross, Volume XXXII, Issue 5773, 31 March 1876, Page 2

QUOTE:
“There is something exceedingly repugnant in the treatment which the law permits of the dead body, of a poor creature, who has by his own act hurried himself unbidden in to the presence of his Maker...............
End of Quote.

An example given was that of a Mrs SCOTT, Takaka, Nelson Province, and then the editorial continued with other examples of Christian prejudice perpetuated by Clergy upon families seeking help in their time of need. Times were indeed tough.

Alan SHARP.

Russell

Re: Editorial - Suicide 1876 - Takaka

Post by Russell » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:42 pm

What a tragic article Alan. Poor woman.
I have always felt that the attitude of society to suicide was simply to divert attention away from the uncaring, unsupportive views held by the 'better' elements - or to be blunt the wealthier, better educated scions of society. It was a case of 'lets not look at our failings, we'll just blame the victim !' It has always been the case that the upper levels of society whether Church, Law or class have studiously ignored the findings of the scientist or medical practitioner unless, of course, it was financially in their interest or reinforced their position of Power (which was the Church position) I'm not sure that society has actually moved forward from that position either.
What I loved about the article was the beautiful use of language. We are rapidly losing the ability to express ourselves fluently and accurately. There are so many useful words in the dictionary which are rapidly being forgotten in favour of txtspeak and sound bites. Very sad :(

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Alan SHARP

Health Issues - Roseneath 1834 - Statistical Account

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Greetings Russell

As you research, you come upon some very interesting snippets. Or at least for me they are. Another that I treasure is the observations from the Minister for the Roseneath, Dumbartonshire, STATISTICAL ACCOUNT of SCOTLAND 1834, pages 107 & 108, recording the general status of health of his district.

He chastises the well to do in Glasgow who sent home unassisted to Roseneath, those who caught ‘fevers and other infectious disorders’ to spread their infection in the over crowded Shire villages. Although faithful and hard working servants they were not offered medical assistance, nor treated, in the community (Glasgow) in which they caught the infection.

At least the Minister appeared to be more enlightened than the examples above, and had an underling sense of humour, when one views the examples he chose to use.

http://stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/sas/sa ... #pageimage

http://stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/sas/sa ... #pageimage

Alan SHARP.

Currie

Re: Editorial - Suicide 1876 - Takaka

Post by Currie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:47 am

Thanks Alan,

It’s a very interesting story.

Those links to Edina may not work for everyone. Many of the Statistical Accounts are also available in Google Books and I think these are the relevant pages.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=RqI ... J&pg=PA107

All the best,
Alan