Where is she registered?.....

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Chezza

Where is she registered?.....

Post by Chezza » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:22 pm

Hi all,

My gggrandmother, Jane Burns, gave birth to her third daughter on board the "Anna" on their way to Australia in 1855. I have not been able to find a birth registration for the child here in Aus.

I don't know at what stage of the journey baby Burns made her appearance. Would anyone have a clue as to where I might find some information on the baby please. According to the shipping records she survived. Also , if a child is born at sea, where is he/she normally registered?.

A story was passed down through the family that my ggrandmother (who was around 3 at the time) watched a burial at sea - if this is true and the baby died before reaching port, I should imagine that I would be able to find a death registration somewhere?

Chezza :lol:

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:04 pm

Hello Chezza,

I had a look on SP for a birth in the minor records, but there were none for a female B*rn*s born 1855, nor a death.

I don't know what the procedure was for registering babies who were born at sea, but I'm sure there is someone on here who will know.

All the best with your search,

Alison

Chezza

Post by Chezza » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:48 am

Thanks for doing the look up for me Alison.

I am hoping someone might have a few ideas.

Unfortunately BDM registration here in Australia became compulsory on 1st March 1856 - one year too late for my search.

Thanks again

Chezza :D

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:23 am

Records of any vital events on board should have been communicated to the authorities at the port of arrival. They should also eventually been reported to the Registrar General for Shipping and Seamen back in the UK via the ship's log, - and turn up in the Register of Births, Marriages and Deaths at Sea 1854 - 1890 British Subjects and Other Nationalities.

See http://www.nationalarchivist.com/index03/about.cfm, from which I quote....

The RGSS was required to report these events to the relevant Registrar General of Births, Marriages and Deaths; for England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales. However it is estimated that more than half of these events were not reported to the relevant Registrar General and therefore may not be found elsewhere.

There's a free searchable index, but viewing the records requires payment.

There one female BURNS birth in the period 1854 - 1858, but no matching death.

David

Chezza

Post by Chezza » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:44 am

Thank you David. I am about to have a look at the record you mentioned.

Much appreciated

Chezza :D

PS Unfortunately, it was the wrong birth! Back to the drawing boards.....